Base rock made of "stuff"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corty

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was given some very porous rock and told that it had probably been LR at some point, but he couldn't remember if he had used it in his tank or if it had come along with something he bought. It looks remarkably like my Fiji, and is in decent shapes.

How do I know if this is made of an appropriate material, and how would I prepare it for my aquarium (setting up, nothing live in it yet)? Is it better to not take my chances and just leave it out?

I apologize if this has already been covered. I looked through the archives, but didn't see an answer to my question.

I wouldn't chance it. Even if it was once fiji lr it could be contaminated w/ copper from ich meds(once it's there, it's there for good). As you may or may not know copper, even in tiny amounts, is lethal to inverts. Seems like just cycling tanks is your hobby :p j/k. HTH

It would have to be cleaned and cured very well. I would boil it and let it cure for atleast a few weeks in one of your cycling tanks. It shouldn't be alive anymroe anyways since it has been out of the water for a while.

MT79 said:
I wouldn't chance it. Even if it was once fiji lr it could be contaminated w/ copper from ich meds(once it's there, it's there for good). As you may or may not know copper, even in tiny amounts, is lethal to inverts. Seems like just cycling tanks is your hobby :p j/k. HTH

Nothing's easy in this hobby, is it? -grumbles about the driftwood that's soaking-

Unfortunately, cycling does seem to be my hobby.. my "tank" room is my living room, and while it's going to look great in the end, right now it couldn't look more ridiculous.

I wouldn't trust it either. With out a proper history, many things could have happened to it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom