Base Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a certian rule of thumb for how many pounds of base rock you should use per gallon, or should you just use the live rock (1.5-2 lbs per gallon)? I have a 29 gallon saltwater FO tank with some base rock in it alread, but was thinking about getting 35 lbs more base rock from http://www.reeferrocks.com/ Will 35 lbs base rock + the little bit i have be enough to finish it off? Thanks.

The ratio of base to LR doesn't matter. All will eventually look the same in time. The only difference being the amount of time it takes for necessary organisms to colonize the base rock. It's really up to you and your budget. As long as there is some LR introduced, you'll be just fine.

If the LR is your main filtration source, 35-45 lbs total would be a good number. It really depends on the density.

Cheers
Steve

Im not using LR yet...I just wanted to know if i could use the ratio of lr per gallon as base rock per gallon. I'll add LR later to let the corline spread and maybe get some polyps or something :mrgreen:

May wanna use a bit more base rock, since it is denser, a smaller piece ways more. So for that filled up look, you may wanna use a bit more base rock thatn that ratio.

One other question, i just got rid of a recent alge growth (my tank in 4 months old) but now i notice a light green alge spreading acrost the coral gravel in the front of the tank. Whats the quickest solution?

Do you have a skimmer? What are your water parameters, including PO4?
A good skimmer, nutrient control and routine water changes should help that.

Back
Top Bottom