battling water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
For two weeks I've been having trouble with nitrites and nitrates for some unknown reason. The tank has been up and running for 8 mo. I pwc'd everyday for a week. I think I vacuumed the substrate too much because the tank seemed to go into a minicycle. Today, after an emergency morning pwc finally the nitrites are gone!

Does anyone know what can turn a tank around like this so suddenly. I'd be interested to hear advise.:p

Food particles or lack of CUC, too much bioload for tank size, mybe too many pwc's??? all i can think of, someone else may better know than me, but thats what came to my mind b/c my tank has been up since sept, and I've been battling the same thing

overfeeding is the reason- not lack of a cleanup crew. remember, when food is eaten, it's not gone. it's still in the tank. you can have all the cleanup crew in the world, and if you overfeed, your tank will suffer.

stirring up an older sand bed can definitely cause a spike.

there is no such thing as too many water changes. this is assuming you are doing them correctly.

Are you using RODI water for all PWCs and top off?
Have you tested your tap water?

Distrubing the sand could cause a mini-cycle to start too.

What are you feeding? If frozen foods, are you rinsing it in tank water or RODI to remove the possible nitrate and phosphate in the food water?

That would be in addition to Brett's remarks.

Good luck.

mellowyellow said:
I have a question about RO systems. What is the wasted water and where does it come from and where does it go?

RO system gives pure clean water - without minerals - it's about 1 part from 3
The 2 parts from 3 it's the wasting water with heavy metals and other minerals which comes from other pipe. - I using the waste water for my garden :)

Back
Top Bottom