Beard Algae: Blessing Or a Curse??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppynovice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was conducting water change today and noticed a few spots of beard algae on the glass in my 10 gal tank. It is propigating well on my mopani wood but i got to thinking is it a blessing or a curse? I of course dont want it on my glass, but how should i remove it? Thanks in advance

Why would you want it in the first place? I would say curse. Most people end up getting shrimp or an algae eating fish for it but that doesn't really solve the problem it just puts a band aid on it. What are you current parameters and setup?

Ph, ammo, trites, trates, lighting, plants and are you dosing anything and what all is in the tank?

Ph- 7-8
ammo:trites:trates- not tested
lighting-standard UV Bulb
plants- 1 Amazon sword
fish-Trinidad Guppies (10, mostly juveniles), Emerald Cory (7), CAE,
Inverts- RCS (3-5), 1 Marbled crayfish

All fish are mature (except guppies, which are kept in there for the first 2-3 months) and no fights have ever broken out. Water changes are done every 2-3 days.

that's a lot of cories for such a small foot print!

I think that is is a cure and you should try to get rid of it while it is still under control

I just want to add thar in my opinion you are over stocked but I think you know that since you do water changes every few days.. what type of filtration do you have? also have you considering rehominh some of your tank mates?

Definitely some stocking issues in the tank.... cories and cae need to go.

BBA is usually from too much lighting. How long are you leaving the light on? H2O2 will help clear it up, but until you fix the source, it'll just come back.

For filtration I use a tetra Whisper 20i. Keeps the water clean as can be, and if need be i add the 10i (normally during water changes). I moved the CAE to my 20 gal which is where i plan to move them all eventually (no time soon though). Anything else i could do to make living conditions more "comfertable"? I normally leaqve the lights on from 6:30-5:30 or 5:00 during the week and 9:00-5:00 on the weekends (when im home). If im not mistaken H2O2 is Peroxide? I read about it as a treatment method but I was curious as to whether it would hurt any of the tank inhabitants.

Put your lighting on a timer, no more than 8 hours a day. I had mine split in to a 4 on, 4 off, 4 on routine that really helped me with algae.. but that doesn't work for everyone. H2O2 will not hurt anything, as long as you don't go overboard (and it still might not). Just use a syringe and apply it directly on to the algae. It'll dissociate pretty quick in water, and as long as you don't apply it directy in to fish gills, or directly on to rcs (etc), nothing will be bothered.

lighting-standard UV Bulb

What?

It's mostly a curse to planted tank people because it has a tendency to grow ON plants. If you like it, and it's not causing issues, than more power to you.

Yes if it is growing nicely on something and looks good, I'd leave it. Also some fish like to nibble on algae.

Back
Top Bottom