Beneficial bacteria and water temp. transitioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if water temp. At all plays a role in seeding new filters? For example, I have aquariums inside at 72-80°F. If I took bb from my pond outside which currently has a water temp. of 37°F and used it to seed an indoor aquarium would it work straight away? Would I have to acclimate it? Or would it simply not work at all?
Note that the PH, GH and KH are about the same indoors and out.

That's a good question. There's a good article I have on my computer that explains nitrifying bacteria activity in respect to temps. I don't recall exact numbers, but it goes something like this. Once temps drop into the mid-60s, their activity drops by 50%. Mid-50s, 75%. Once it drops below 40, their activity ceases altogether and they die by 32f. Now, if your pond hasn't dropped down to 32 at all yet (I know mine has), I guess there's some potential to revive the bacteria. I'm sure there's studies somewhere that have researched how feasible this is and whether or not it's possible. I would try very gradual temperature acclimation with lots of aeration because the dissolved oxygen levels will decrease rapidly as the temp warms. Keep us posted on how this works if you try it- I am curious as well!! :)

I have a 10g that I was gonna insta-cycle for fry rearing but for curiosity sake I'm going to go ahead and pull one of my pond mats and slowly bring it to room temp with the aid of an airstone then see exactly how that media reacts to a fishless cycle scenario.
I'll keep you posted jlk.

Also, I'll be sure and document all water parameters from the pond as well as the timespan of the transition period.

Back
Top Bottom