best filtration for 90 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i put a deposit down on a 26 gal wet/dry filter. is this the best filter method besides lr? or would it be possible to convert it to a sump/fuge. i am a bit confused because everyone obviously has different opinions. how much live rock should i buy? i have 45lbs of base rock and about 15 lbs of lr from an existing 35 gal sw setup. please help

i would use all the liver rock, and buy at least an additional 40lbs Depending on the density of the rock. anyway wetdry is good defintly invest in a good skimmer. someone else may walk u through a sump-to refg. conversion i am not sure

Just toss the bio balls and replace it with lr reef rubble. This is what a lot of us are doing now.
Generally with lr, you will want between 1.5 to 2lbs per gallon.
Is the 26g wet/dry rated for your 90G? I would get the biggest one you can so you can add heater, pumps, skimmer, lr, etc. in there. In addition to that, you will also have more water volume for a heavier bio load.
Have you picked out your lighting yet?

Mike

the wet/dry will be a fine filter. the filter pad will provide you with mechanical filtation and you will have a place to run GAC. Agreed about the bioballs. You can replace them with LR rubble instead. They will provide you with the same biological filtration benifits as the LR in the tank.

thanks for the replies,
all the elctrical is hooked up. i have two separate plugs on different breakers equipped with gfi's so i don't fry myself. the frame is done and now i just have cut the top, secure it and add a layer of ridgid styrofoam. then fill the bad boy up, add lr and wait until she cycles.
lighting will be ordered very shortly. i think i have made up my mind and am going to go with the tek system t5's 6x54w. these lights seem to be working extremely well for everyone who has them.

yes 1.5 -2.0 lbs per gallon LR and a protien skimmer and you are set. more live rock = less trouble. your 90 gallon should have 135-180 lbs of rock. I bought a turbo floater 1000 protien skimmer for my 90 gal and would say it skims the heck out of her.

enjoy.

Just a side note- If you replace the bio balls with lr make sure that they remained submerged. They can not be treated by the trickle like the bioballs. If they dont remain submerged you will loose the beneficial bacterias that benefit your tank. HTH

IMO 1-1.5 lbs of rock per gal is fine..... Add another 40 of Lr to what you have already and you will be fine. Over time the base rock will become LR.
What type of substraight are you going to use. What type of water?

Back
Top Bottom