best pH buffers for use with live plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sniperfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been working on an Amazon Biotope aquarium, with live plants, and need to try to get my pH down between 6.5-6.8 (I'm currently at 7.6), what would your recommendations be, and seeing as there are already a few fish in it, I assume I'd have to add it gradually with pwc's, right?

I plan on keeping gbr's, and I'm concerned it's a little too high for them.

pH Question

Hello sniper...

Tropical plants prefer more acidic water, but will adapt to most tank conditions. As far as the fish are concerned, a pH of 8.5 isn't too high unless you're keeping rare species.

Guess what I'm saying is it's best not to try to change pH, hardness, etc. These things really aren't important for keeping a successful aquarium.

Plants and fish have been adapting to different (constant) water conditions for a long time. Your only job is to keep a steady stream of clean, treated water going through your tank and you do that by changing half the water and servicing your filter equipment every week.

B

You could mix r/o with your source water but honestly it sounds like a lot more work than I'd personally be willing to do. I'd see how things go with the water like it is. If you want to go with an authentic amazon type biotope then put some tannin leaching driftwood in there, it should turn the water brown and consequently lower the pH unless the water is liquid rock.

The best method to lower pH for plants? :cool: With a pH like that though, I bet you have pretty high KH, so non-pressurized CO2 will be of questionable effectiveness.

If you properly drip acclimate your GBRs, they should be able to adapt to the pH. Breeding them might be more complicated, but they should be alright day to day.

I plan on keeping gbr's, and I'm concerned it's a little too high for them.
i have 2 male gbr's and i mix ro water with tap water to keep a ph of about 6.2. you'll have to find the correct portions of tap (treated) to ro, mine is 2/3 ro to 1/3 tap. just experiment until you get the right mixture. yes it's a bit of work but to me it's worth it. every fish has certain requirements that should be met if you want to keep that species of fish. i agree that you should try to give them a ph that they will thrive in. so many people say they will adjust to a high ph but all the literature tells you they like soft water with a ph of 5.5-6.5 not 8+.imo that's why so many gbr's die. yes the fish stores might be able to keep them for a few weeks in a high ph but it's an entirely different thing to keep them alive and thriving for months or years. my gbr's have grown from 1 1/2 inches to over 3 inches and have just blossomed with this ph. i have had them for 10 months. also it's important to do frequent water changes. i do one every 3rd day. it goes without saying that all your water parameters should be pristine. i test everyday with liquid tests. if you decide to go with the gbr's go with the lower ph. it will pay off i think. here's a good article to read and good luck.:fish1:
German Blue Ram

You're best bet is to not tamper with your pH at all. Fish and plants can adjust to any pH as long as it's stable. When you start trying to control your pH, you start having fluctuations which is what the GBRs do not tolerate.

Back
Top Bottom