Best treatment for fin rot/burns on neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok. This is my 20g planted. I've been treating for ich for 7 days with temp set to 86 with daily 25-50% wc and vacuuming, no salt. Stock is 12 neons (only a few with bad fins), 5 zebra danios, 4 peppered cories, 1 male dwarf gourami, 2 ADF, 1 assassin snail. The few neons are the only ones with the fin issue. They've had it since right after I got them (added too many at once and caused a mini cycle, so nitrite or ammonia burns?). They behave and eat normally, just look kinda beat up. Parameters are ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 20. If it factors in, my plants are anacharis, java fern, anubia, some duckweed and hornwort, and marimo moss balls. There were a few different meds to choose from for this, so I wanted to check here first. Thanks for any pointers!

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't comment much on meds selection as choices here are limited.

I would leave off treating if you can until the ich is gone and you can lower the temp back down. The lower temp should slow infection down and give you a better chance. Plus prevent any secondary infections from ich marks.

Ok great. I caught the ich early, so its pretty much gone. I'm going to give the heat another week to be sure. I will post a list of meds I have access to, maybe someone can better direct me.

Hello Pat...

Fish problems are water related, pure and simple. Keep the water pure and the fish will be healthy. You keep the water pure with large, weekly water changes of half the tank's volume. You get help from floating plants that take in toxic nitrogen from the fishes' waste. Good floating plants are Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort. Float these in the tank. A teaspoon of salt or a bit more in every 5 gallons of pure, treated tap water will help maintain a healthy immune system. Some water keepers say no salt, but there's good research to back up its use. Standard aquarium salt, Kosher salt or standard canning salt is fine. I've used it in my planted tanks for several years and never had a problem with sick fish. I'm also a fan of large, frequent water changes that remove toxic nitrogen from the tank.

Just some suggestions.

B

I've got all that covered except trying salt and meds. See original post. Temp is up for ich. Will revisit this issue next week when I can lower the temp and have a list of available meds. With my neons I'm not big on trying salt....

Neons in QT (no plants) I've gone to 2 tablespoons salt for 5 gals with no troubles. Started at 1 teaspoon per 5 gals. Just in case useful.

That's another problem. No QT :(

Using Medications

I've got all that covered except trying salt and meds. See original post. Temp is up for ich. Will revisit this issue next week when I can lower the temp and have a list of available meds. With my neons I'm not big on trying salt....

Hello again Pat...

Your decision, but putting chemicals into the tank water is risky at best and should be a last resort after all the natural means have been used. The reason being, you don't know how medications will affect the fish, plants and the good bacteria.

The natural means of dealing with infections is generally best. Most infections can be treated with nothing more than a lot of warm, pure, treated tap water flushed through the tank every few days and doing a good job of vacuuming the bottom material.

The small dose of salt won't harm plants and boosts the fishes' immune system. It's especially good for the scales or skin. When you feed, which should be sparingly, since ailing fish don't have much of an appetite, is to give them a little minced garlic. The herb has some healing properties and is a natural antibiotic. Spice World probably has the best product.

B

Oh I forgot about garlic! So salt before meds if all else fails? Maybe by next week I can purchase a QT. I'm a clean freak, so I will stick with it. Thanks a bunch guys.

Good luck, keep us posted. Just in case, going above a teaspoon of salt per 5 gal may impact plants. I've always gone for the QT so I don't have to worry about it so have never tested this.

Edit - when you say bad is it just some loss around edges or quite a lot gone as heading for the tail base? If heading for tail base then I'd go for meds more sooner to try and stop it as the fins may not grow back if the tail base is reached.

Last edited:
era9y6y5.jpg
zeje2aza.jpg
Both? Here is the worst guy. He's fast!

It doesn't seem too bad from what I can see but you wouldn't want it to get worse as it looked like they were a bit deep?

I think give it a week or two after the temp goes down and with lots of pwc's. At the moment the fish would be under a bit of stress. If after that time there is no improvement or it gets worse than imo I would treat.

Back
Top Bottom