Best way to dechlorinate water before putting it in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
should I add water conditioner first, then water or put all water in a bucket first and then use water conditioner?

It's kind of up to you. If add your water straight to the tank then treat the entire volume of the tank or if you use buckets then just dose the buckets. Both ways are perfectly safe.

I treat the water I'm adding before it hits the tank. That way I use a smaller amount.

It's kind of up to you. If add your water straight to the tank then treat the entire volume of the tank or if you use buckets then just dose the buckets. Both ways are perfectly safe.

To be clear, are you saying that for a new setup, it's fine to fill and then treat or are you adding untreated water to a tank with fish in it and then adding the dechlorinator? I was always taught to treat and age the water 24 hours before adding to let it gas off and come to room temp. So, that's what I do. I was using plastic gallon jugs for the small tank and a medicine syringe to measure the amount for a single gallon. I'm now shopping those camping water totes so I don't have open buckets of water sitting around for the 65.

To be clear, are you saying that for a new setup, it's fine to fill and then treat or are you adding untreated water to a tank with fish in it and then adding the dechlorinator? I was always taught to treat and age the water 24 hours before adding to let it gas off and come to room temp. So, that's what I do. I was using plastic gallon jugs for the small tank and a medicine syringe to measure the amount for a single gallon. I'm now shopping those camping water totes so I don't have open buckets of water sitting around for the 65.

Chlorine will gass off out of tapwater in 24 hours without any extra treatment needed. If you use a dechlorinator like Prime or Tetra Aquasafe, the chlorine is instantly neutralised without the need to let it stand.

Just letting the water stand to get rid of chlorine without adding anything may not be a good idea, as these days tapwater is often treated with chloramine which does not gass off.

I fill my buckets first then treat with Prime for the volume in the bucket. I know other people (who use aqeon or python water changing systems) add dechlorinator for the volume of the tank first, before adding water to fill the tank.

No I am saying I use a water changer I suck the water out and then add a capful of prime which is more than enough for the 36g bf tank and fill the tank straight from the tap. Once you use the de-chlorinator the water is perfectly safe of immediate use. There is no need to let the water sit for any length of time after it is used. The only time you need to let it sit is if you don't have a de-chlorinator.

No I am saying I use a water changer I suck the water out and then add a capful of prime which is more than enough for the 36g bf tank and fill the tank straight from the tap. Once you use the de-chlorinator the water is perfectly safe of immediate use. There is no need to let the water sit for any length of time after it is used. The only time you need to let it sit is if you don't have a de-chlorinator.

Got it, thanks! I always treat so maybe I don't need all those containers now! Do you run a hose from the sink and just try to hit lukewarm or use some sort of special device for temperature control? (Sorry to hijack but I think it's somewhat on topic...) :whistle:

I just get the temp close myself. I take a floating thermometer and put that by the incoming water. If I notice it changing by more then a couple degrees I turn up/down the hot accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom