Best way to vacuum large pebble substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpyGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently set up a 14g aquarium for my 5yo daughter. There weren't many choices available for gravel at the LFS. I didn't like the look of the brightly colored small gravel -- too artificial, plus I felt that the colors of the fish would get lost against such a brightly-hued substrate. I thought black might work well, but I didn't think my daughter would appreciate that. In the end, I chose a natural pebbles which are tan colored. The pebbles are roundish and average about 1cm in diameter.

The problem I've discovered is that it's very hard to see fish waste and detritus on the bottom of the tank, plus the debris tends to fall into the gaps between the pebbles.

Any recommendations on how to best clean this?

(Btw, I recently saw a thread in this forum of a new tank with white sand substrate... looked very cool. Unfortunately, they didn't have any white sand at my LFS.)

I love the sand too. Look for play sand at home depot. I raided the local beach but I advise against that. Lol

A regular siphon gravel vac will do the trick. Get it to the bottom and move it around, you will see the gunk flow. It's very rewarding. I like to do half a tank on a small tank. Then the other half next week.

+1 for the regular old gravel vac. Dig it deep into the gravel to get everything stuck deep.

If you want white sand, look for Quickrete Medium Sand. I got 50lb for $3 at Home Depot.

we bought the sand (jenatronQT3.14159, who's tank i think you're referring to) simply from our petco, no lfs needed

So you are actually allowed to use play sand inside of a fish tank?

we bought the sand (jenatronQT3.14159, who's tank i think you're referring to) simply from our petco, no lfs needed

Yes, it was Jen's tank I was referring too. Very nice. :)

So is that really "white" sand? Or is it just typical tan-colored sand (which is what I think I'd get at Home Depot? Your sand looked very white in your photos.

Btw, I bought my tank and gravel at local Petco stores. We have two here and both have very limited selections of substrate and supplies.

Yes, it was Jen's tank I was referring too. Very nice. :)

So is that really "white" sand? Or is it just typical tan-colored sand (which is what I think I'd get at Home Depot? Your sand looked very white in your photos.

Btw, I bought my tank and gravel at local Petco stores. We have two here and both have very limited selections of substrate and supplies.

The sand was white. Not stark white, but white none-the-less. If I remember correctly it was CaribSea Super Naturals in Moonlight White, if you wanna look it up and see what it looks like packaged. :)

OP: Don't mean to jack this thread. Sowwy. :(
But I got it at Petco.
Thanks. :)
No problem, jack away! :p

Actually, you and IDISW have been helpful in informing us all of the CaribSea product line. I checked out their "SuperNaturals" substrates on their web site. I do like the Moonlight Sand. I also like the Tahitian Moon. Ahhh, decisions, decisions...

No problem, jack away! :p

Actually, you and IDISW have been helpful in informing us all of the CaribSea product line. I checked out their "SuperNaturals" substrates on their web site. I do like the Moonlight Sand. I also like the Tahitian Moon. Ahhh, decisions, decisions...

I have the Tahitian moon version and it's quite wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom