Beta fish with clamped fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAreCool1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
So recently my male betta fish has been ill. He refuses eat, one of his fins are clamped, He’s always hiding away, barely moves at all and I don’t know what to do. His colour has somewhat faded Please help.

If it helps i have an 11 gal tank with 9 harlequin raboras.
It’s about one year running
I feed them tropical fish flakes and occasionally some blood worms.
My water is kind of hard
Ammonia is at 0
Nitrate is at 40-50ish
Nitrite is about 25

Ok your nitrates and nitrites are too high. What is your water change schedule like?

Ive also just noticed that he got gold-ish copper-ish dust on his scales. Velvet i assume? There's not much of it though.

Just checked again, and nitrites are at 0

thanks for the advice.
Also, should i move my betta to a hospital tank?
I have one on hand but its only 1 gal

Velvet is very contagious so it's up to you if you want to separate him or just treat the whole tank. Check your rasboras to make sure they aren't showing any signs.

Velvet is very contagious so it's up to you if you want to separate him or just treat the whole tank. Check your rasboras to make sure they aren't showing any signs.
Hello, @sarab is correct about velvet being very contagious. So please treat hole tank & if you have other tanks beware of cross contamination.
I've successfully treated it w/salt & heat. I used 1 teaspoon of aquarium per gallon because of salt sensitive fish. You can use up to 3. Add slowly so fish can get used to salinity. You want to darken room or cover tank(darkness deprives parasite of light & kills faster). Raise temp 86-88° slowly a few degrees every 1-2hrs. I did 50% waterchanges every 2 days(replacing salt removed) vacuuming substrate to remove dead or dyeing parasite. I did this till all sign's of disease disappeared . Then continued treatment for 7 more days to make sure. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Hello again, I forgot to add that raising temp also lowers oxygen levels in tank so be sure that you have plenty of surface agitation or add air stone!!!!!
Hello, @sarab is correct about velvet being very contagious. So please treat hole tank & if you have other tanks beware of cross contamination.
I've successfully treated it w/salt & heat. I used 1 teaspoon of aquarium per gallon because of salt sensitive fish. You can use up to 3. Add slowly so fish can get used to salinity. You want to darken room or cover tank(darkness deprives parasite of light & kills faster). Raise temp 86-88° slowly a few degrees every 1-2hrs. I did 50% waterchanges every 2 days(replacing salt removed) vacuuming substrate to remove dead or dyeing parasite. I did this till all sign's of disease disappeared . Then continued treatment for 7 more days to make sure. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Hi guys, thanks for the responses!

My male betta (Gilbert) has come out of his hiding space and is swimming around (only a little bit though). His right fin is now mostly unclamped as well! Left him alone in the dark for the day and i can see that the velvet has reduced a bit. Tried feeding him but still isn’t eating... but I expect that’s normal, right? Forgot to mention in the beginning that on the side of his face, his scales seem to have come outwards. It almost looks like a pinecone. Never seen him rub himself against anything though...

all of my Rasboras look fine and are eating well

Hi guys, thanks for the responses!

My male betta (Gilbert) has come out of his hiding space and is swimming around (only a little bit though). His right fin is now mostly unclamped as well! Left him alone in the dark for the day and i can see that the velvet has reduced a bit. Tried feeding him but still isn’t eating... but I expect that’s normal, right? Forgot to mention in the beginning that on the side of his face, his scales seem to have come outwards. It almost looks like a pinecone. Never seen him rub himself against anything though...

all of my Rasboras look fine and are eating well
Good!!!!! I think velvet will get under the fishes scales & rise them. But keep a close eye on it just in case. One of the goldfish in tank I treated still has what looks like a tarnish mark, dent & its been a few months. Was after a move & they were really stressed.

What should i do about feeding?
I know that fish can survive a few days without food but I don’t really want to not feed him...

What should i do about feeding?
I know that fish can survive a few days without food but I don’t really want to not feed him...
If still swimming around just keep offering him food at his regular feeding time(take out if uneaten). Try tapping on rim of tank to get his attention. If very lethargic try desolving food in tank water & use eye dropper(turkey baster etc.etc.) & squeeze by face he should get a little in mouth.

Back
Top Bottom