Betta having trouble swimming.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torkelgutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my betta for a few years. He has a 10g tank to himself, and all the water parameters are ideal, but for over a week now he seems to be having trouble swimming.

He spends most of his time resting on the bottom, at a bit of an angle and a little curled up. And when he does swim, that angle and curl persists, he seems more twitchy in his movements than before, and not quite able to always get to where he wants to go.

This has made it hard for him to eat - but when he does get near food he does eat it.

I tried fasting him for a couple of days, but that did nothing. I've since fed him peas a couple of times, which also didn't help (though today he had more peas than before, so fingers crossed).

Is there anything else I can try, or is human euthanasia the way to go here? :/

He doesn't know he is dying, since he is eating, but it could be 2 things: genetic issues or diseases.

Sometimes he is missing a gill or something

Your lil friend doesn't know he is dying but it fells something is weird and he is now living with that, don't worry with him feeling sad cause he doesn't understand.

Try API products, it is not normal for a betta with so much space and healthy environment to do that from nowhere.

Check if there is any mirror where he could be beating up against the glass and eventually killing himself, sleep disorders, temperature average...any detail could help

Edit: YES! my betta stays close to my bearded dragon home cause they are friends..almost

Check if there is any mirror where he could be beating up against the glass and eventually killing himself, sleep disorders, temperature average...any detail could help

No mirrors or reflections, the temperature is stable and within betta preferences. Sleep disorders I can't say much about.

It might just be his time, I suppose. I guess I'll keep an eye on him and make sure he isn't needlessly suffering.

Back
Top Bottom