Betta not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathrynwyles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a Siamese fighting fish on Wednesday, it's now Friday, and he will not eat. I've tried feeding him pellets that the aquarium shop recommended as well as frozen brine shrimp that has been allowed to melt in a cup of tank water. He seems interested - swims up and takes it in his mouth, but then spits it back out.
I'm wondering if this is merely a sign of him getting used to his new home, or if he's unhappy. He swims around a lot and spends a fair bit of time trying to attack his reflection.

Unfortunately it's Good Friday so I can't go out and buy any other food stuff or go back to the aquarium until tomorrow. I'm concerned that if he won't eat soon he'll die. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tank specs: 9 gallon; 25 degrees C; large gravel substrate; some small plastic plants; no other fish as yet; pH 6.8.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

I had a new betta once that didn't eat for a full 7 days. They can be slow to eat as they get used to their new home. Keep offering the food that you want him to eat and he'll become used to it.

25 degrees C may be a little on the cool side for a betta. Try 27 degrees. I keep my tanks at 80 degrees F. A 9 gallon tank is great! Sometimes plastic plants may injure a betta's long, fragile fins. Pick up some silk plants if you can.

Welcome to AA! I second what An t-iasg says. I recently got a betta to put in my 10 gal. I think he was so surpised at first that he had room to move around. He was in one of those cups they sell them in at the lfs. He was tentative to move around at first nevermind eat! It took him at least 5 days before he would swim up to the top of the tank to get food.

Back
Top Bottom