Better water ciruclation or less surface disruption?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trinifella

Aquarium Advice Activist
Pretty new to this whole planted thing, so I needed a little clarification on this. I am 2 low tech tanks, non-co2, and was wondering if better water circulation was more important in a planted tank than less surface disruption. From what I understand from reading, better circulation transports nutrients to the plants, especially floated ones, and in my case, since I have java moss and a few pieces of Egeria, this is important. But there is a cost to more water flow per gallon, which is more surface disruption, which depletes alot of CO2. I know there are ways in which one can reduce the disruption caused by HOB filters and so on, but I just really wanted to know u guys with planted tanks and no added CO2 deem to be more important. I hope I'm explaining myself clearly.

I have tried to answer this all yesterday with many different searches, but I just decided to ask cuz the more i read and research, it seems like the more questions there are than answers, and that honestly drives me insane!:banghead:

Might also be worth mentioning that i keep Dwarf Gouramis, who despise strong currents :)

In a non CO2 tank surface swirling of the water is not a bad thing. The atmosphere has 3-4% CO2 in it naturally and just as oxygen exchanges back and forth at the surface, so does CO2. Many stem plants will suffer and loose their lower leaves with out some current. One plant I have experienced this problem with is Ludwigia peruensis. OS.

Well I guess swirling isn't so bad but what about the bubbles that are created when water flows out the HOB. Guess keeping the water level high is my best bet

And yea while it does have some CO2, it has way more oxygen. I dunno, maybe I'm becoming a little paranoid. I have just entered a whole realm of info once again with these plants and it's crazy. Lighting, substrate, lol....

I think the whole being worried about gassing off CO2 due to increased surface agitation is primarily the concern of CO2 injected tanks. In non-CO2 tanks, I wouldn't even think twice about it. I just dose a liquid carbon like excel or glut... there's no worry of gassing that off :)

Haha, true!!! Thank you guys so much, one less thing to worry about. Sheeez!!! Btw Brian, dat 12g Nano rocks dude!!! :gangsta:

And yea while it does have some CO2, it has way more oxygen. I dunno, maybe I'm becoming a little paranoid. I have just entered a whole realm of info once again with these plants and it's crazy. Lighting, substrate, lol....

Really I don't think it would matter. If you make less agitation then there would be less co2 to enter also.

Back
Top Bottom