Big Oscars!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HUKIT said:
I'm being serious, I'm calling shenanigans without proof your fish is 15". Everyone always exaggerates the size of their oscars, normally 15" is more like 12" in reality. Judging by that pink gourami in the back I'd say closer to 9-10".

This breeding pair was over 6 years old and were measured at 14.1 and 14.2".

for the first time Oscars has stunning colors to my eyes.

I'll have to try that tomorrow usually mine loves pellets I'll have to start feeding him vegetables I tried shrimp once he did like that.

I have never tried, but I have read and heard O's love pea's. If you wanted to try veggies I would start with them mainly because they will probably resemble their pellets. I have been scared to try them because I have never really looked into how to go about preparing them.

for the first time Oscars has stunning colors to my eyes.

Thanks, their diet consisted of New Life Spectrum 10mm pellets exclusively and lots of water changes.

The theory of supplementing fish vegetables, fruits, and other things in their diet is nonsense, when fed a high quality pellet there is no reason to supplement anything. Pablo Tepoot has nutritionist, biologist, and people way smarter than me on his staff helping to design their products so when some aquarist state they NEED this or that in their diet it's silly, everything they need is in NLS.

Here is great article from RD, many will recognize him from other forums like MFK but he's the most knowledgable person I've met on fish nutrition. Many people have asked me to write a article about aquatic nutrition but when there are things like this in place there really is no reason to.

Nutrition Article -By Pablo Tepoot - New Life Spectrum Fish Food Forum

Last edited:
I wouldnt try peas as they are a laxative for fish. As are green beans and other legumes... i just blanch a slice of zicchini for about 3 minutes, cool, and drop in the tank. And its not so much to supplement as to give her a treat. She also gets lean meats as treats. But primarily she gets hikari cichlid staple.

HUKIT said:
Thanks, their diet consisted of New Life Spectrum 10mm pellets exclusively and lots of water changes.

The theory of supplementing fish vegetables, fruits, and other things in their diet is nonsense, when fed a high quality pellet there is no reason to supplement anything. Pablo Tepoot has nutritionist, biologist, and people way smarter than me on his staff helping to design their products so when some aquarist state they NEED this or that in their diet it's silly, everything they need is in NLS.

Here is great article from RD, many will recognize him from other forums like MFK but he's the most knowledgable person I've met on fish nutrition. Many people have asked me to write a article about aquatic nutrition but when there are things like this in place there really is no reason to.

Nutrition Article -By Pablo Tepoot - New Life Spectrum Fish Food Forum

Don't keep Oscars, but I can say that my fish never looked as good until I switched them to the NLS range, still feed Hikari pellets, but only as I've a bag left. The NLS Thera A range, Cichlid pellets and Garlic flakes for a community set up are superb. Anytime I sell some fry I always supply some of the flake they have been feeding on, in a lot of cases I get contacted by the buyer a week or so afterwards asking what the food was due to there own fish going crazy for it, one buyer contacted me roughly after a month to say his Acara where stunning after a few weeks on it.

Great article HUKIT!

Last edited:
Mike jones said:
I've tried he get super mad, beats the new guy up, completely destroys the hole tank just turn into a monster and when I relocate the other guy he goes back to normal

That's funny! I've tried introducing 2 different cichlids in with my oscar at different times and each time I put the bag in to acclimate the fish, my oscar would just go down to the bottom and pretty much lay down and pout. I think he's just a big baby lol. I LOVE the color of your oscar by the way

aaronjohn20 said:
That's funny! I've tried introducing 2 different cichlids in with my oscar at different times and each time I put the bag in to acclimate the fish, my oscar would just go down to the bottom and pretty much lay down and pout. I think he's just a big baby lol. I LOVE the color of your oscar by the way

Well he's completely fine with smaller guys but I tried Putting another Oscar in there and just completely beat him up my tank like 6ft long and one took over 3 ft and one took over the other 3 feet and they would cross the middle like of you ever seen a tv show where they devide a room in half and they can't cross it that kinda what they did

Back
Top Bottom