BIO-Spira for new tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlirette

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have heard of using BIO-Spira to help speed up the first cycle (24-48 hours) for a saltwater reef tank. Does any of you have any experience with this product? If so did you put your LR in before or after the BIO-Spira did it's thing?

jal

Lots of people say it does nothing. I've never used it.

It won't speed up your cycle, but it may temporarily reduce nittries or ammonia. But it won't nessecerily speed up anything, and may actually lengthen it.

Don't waste your hard-earned $$$. There is no substatute for a natual cycle. It just takes time. Here is the problem with Bio-Spira...LFS sell it to "cycle" a tank overnight. It may help jump-start the cycle but it will not effectively complete it for you, nor will it produce the longevity you want. The unsuspecting and anxious customer goes back to said LFS a day later and they gladly sell them 5 or 6 fish because their tank should be good to go. Five days later they wonder why they only have one clown fish left and have lost $150 in the other fish. Bottom line is that you just have to take it slow. Once you tank is cycled properly, you still need to be very careful when adding fish. One o two at a time and then wait a few weeks for the bio-filtration to catch up with the increased load. I will step off my soap box now. Good luck...Lando

Back
Top Bottom