Bioballs vs Ceramic Noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kc2ped

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a heavily planted BioCUBE 14. My fish store has been encouraging me to replace the bioballs with ceramic noodles. I can't see where it makes much difference which is in there as long as there is something for the bacteria to grow on. And my ammonia is never higher than the 0.25 ppm that comes out of the tap and nitrites are at 0 ppm. So what is the case for switching to noodles?

The ceramic noodles eventually break down unlike bio-balls which are plastic....sounds like a way to make money to me...stay with what u have

If the only ammonia is from tap and you never have nitrite then by definition you have enough biomedia (even if you have no media specifically for it).

Ceramic noodles and other biomedia shouldn't break down. I still have some old Fluval stuff from about twelve years ago that is still fine. The only reason I would replace it is to switch over to Seachem Matrix.

The biggest issue here is the use of the biomedia. Bioballs are designed to be used in trickle filters (aka wet/dry). They are NOT designed or ideal for submerged use. On the other hand porous ceramic medias are designed and ideal for submerged use, they are NOT ideal for wet/dry or trickle filters. This is really the biggest issue. If your tank has a trickle filter (which I think it does) then the bioballs are fine. If you were using it as a submerged media then I suggest Seachem Matrix.

Be aware that not all ceramic medias are porous. The solid ones are not efficient for use as a biomedia at all.

The biggest issue here is the use of the biomedia. Bioballs are designed to be used in trickle filters (aka wet/dry). They are NOT designed or ideal for submerged use. On the other hand porous ceramic medias are designed and ideal for submerged use, they are NOT ideal for wet/dry or trickle filters. This is really the biggest issue. If your tank has a trickle filter (which I think it does) then the bioballs are fine. If you were using it as a submerged media then I suggest Seachem Matrix.

What is best for Power filters e.g. Aquaclear?

would you recommend the bioballs or ceramic to put inside the aquaclear basket?

That is a submerged use so you should use a porous ceramic media (Seachem Matrix, or the Biomax that comes with the AquaClears).

Back
Top Bottom