Biopellets: do they work? Better than carbon/gfo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hardridge said:
I have valve before but why after

If you have chaeto id let that take care of nitrates and switch out your biopellets for gfo for phosphates its a good combo biopellets are not know to completely take care of phosphates their best on nitrates imo but gfo will completely take care of phosphates

Hardridge said:
I have valve before but why after

Valve after will control flow out of the reactor allowing you to fine tune how fast the pellets strip the water of nitrates and phosphates. Again to get the most out of biopellets you need a great over rated skimmer.

Schism, in your opinion, what would be the best reactor to run them in that doesn't break the bank??

I run one with bio pellets and one with gfo. And every thg is at 0

crister13 said:
Schism, in your opinion, what would be the best reactor to run them in that doesn't break the bank??

Im not sure, i dont have the most experience with large reactors like you need.

Just asking but doesn't two valves just slow down flow? why can't u do that with just one valve?

Hardridge said:
Just asking but doesn't two valves just slow down flow? why can't u do that with just one valve?

One valve will control flow but with one you cannot control the flow into and out of the reactor separately. Ideally flow into the reactor will be higher than coming out allowing you to control how good the pellets work in essence.

The second valve will stay wide open until nitrates and phosphates become almost depleted, at that point the second valve comes into play, you do not want to strip all phosphate from the water. Especially on smaller tanks or if running a lot of pellets etc. fairly easy. Depends on the pellets your using as well.

Schism said:
One valve will control flow but with one you cannot control the flow into and out of the reactor separately. Ideally flow into the reactor will be higher than coming out allowing you to control how good the pellets work in essence.

The second valve will stay wide open until nitrates and phosphates become almost depleted, at that point the second valve comes into play, you do not want to strip all phosphate from the water. Especially on smaller tanks or if running a lot of pellets etc. fairly easy. Depends on the pellets your using as well.

Imo the first valve will control it for instance if the first valve is allowing 1gph the second valve could not speed this up and if you use the second valve to slow it down that can be done by adjusting the first valve

danbstrong said:
Imo the first valve will control it for instance if the first valve is allowing 1gph the second valve could not speed this up and if you use the second valve to slow it down that can be done by adjusting the first valve

Flow going in cannot be higher than flow goin out where is the extra water going? Lol when you slow down flow of second valve you are also slowing flow of first valve

crister13 said:
Can you just run pellets in a phosban reactor??

You could but imo id run gfo in the reactor that will take care of your phosphates and let your chaeto take care of nitrates

I have two two little fishes reactors one for gfo and one for pellets

My concern now is trates. What size phosban reactor would I need for pellets??? And what pump?

I have the 150 and I have a 120 tank. My pump is rated 2200 gph so I ran it off of there

crister13 said:
My concern now is trates. What size phosban reactor would I need for pellets??? And what pump?

Probably need a valve and a small pump will work basically you want enough water to tumble the pellits with no dead spots

Schism said:
Also take a look at part 2 which will explain the skimmer importance in biopellet use also.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMx4HOsG3Rc

I watched the video thats not a standard reactor it has one way for water to come in then from there the water can go out 2 ways one is out to the tank one is back to the pump for recirculation thats a modified reactor 1 input 2 outputs yes in that case you can control both but standard reactors only have 1 way in 1 way out

danbstrong said:
I watched the video thats not a standard reactor it has one way for water to come in then from there the water can go out 2 ways one is out to the tank one is back to the pump for recirculation thats a modified reactor 1 input 2 outputs yes in that case you can control both but standard reactors only have 1 way in 1 way out

But regardless i use a refugium with chaeto it also is beneficial for pods as i have mandarin and a gfo reactor

Back
Top Bottom