Bit of a nooby question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishmanJosh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay Ive been scanning arond the forum ID section (I find it rather interesting) and I keep hearing the word SUMP. What is it??? Loads of people say "Put that unknown mystery killer crab into your sump!" And im thinking What is it? A blender?

Any help would be appreciated, and do I need one? 20g nano reef just coming to end of cycling process.

a sump is a smaller tank usually located under your main tank, which is used as a type of filtration.

for example i have a 75g tank with a 30 gallon sump. water from the large tank goes into an internal overflow i have down into the sump. it flows over filter pads, bioballs, has a protein skimmer in it to suck out biological waste, and then its pumped back up into the main tank.

look up sump or wet dry trickle filter on youtube

great explanation stan! Fishman sumps are great for many reasons they hide all the bulky equipment you dont want in your display tank add water volume to your system (more volume the slower it can change from good to bad) makes water changes easier and adds a great form of filtration like stan said.

Back
Top Bottom