Black light fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it too harmful to turn a black light under the hood of the aquarium on over the coarse if the night? I plan on building a ten gallon glow tetra tank that will use natural light in the day and black light at night. Is this okay and where can I purchase a black light bulb?

Depends on what your current hood is. some LED combos will really make them pop. No personal exp, but over tons of reading it seems a "true" blacklight can damage the retnas of fish if left on overnight?

Someone else jump in here?

not sure about that but i do know true blacklights get really hot and that might be a fire hazard. i would go with one of the glofish lights they are about 20 bucks for a pretty nice blue led strip and they have them at any chain pet store because of how much glofish have become popular

also if you have the space/money i would go with a 20 if you want both the danios and skirt tetras they should be both kept in groups of five and a tank of that size would only allow for one group. the danios need swimming space too and 10 gallons is not much for them a 20 long would make a good glow tank

Thank you for the advice ill post pictures when I decide to set it up.

Back
Top Bottom