Black Moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuakingAspen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know now that they were a little crowded at the time but I used to have two black moors in a twenty five gallon tank with three albino corydoras catfish. One died at 4 years and the other at 6 but they were probably only three inches , if that. I got them at petsmart and am just now hearing that they can grow 8-10 inches:blink:. What in the world, they seemed perfectly healthy and I can't imagine what was wrong with them, was it the tank or could it possibly be some subspecies, were they stunted or diseased, I really have no idea! I am thinking about getting another black moor as I love them so much but what am I doing wrong:(

I know now that they were a little crowded at the time but I used to have two black moors in a twenty five gallon tank with three albino corydoras catfish. One died at 4 years and the other at 6 but they were probably only three inches , if that. I got them at petsmart and am just now hearing that they can grow 8-10 inches:blink:. What in the world, they seemed perfectly healthy and I can't imagine what was wrong with them, was it the tank or could it possibly be some subspecies, were they stunted or diseased, I really have no idea! I am thinking about getting another black moor as I love them so much but what am I doing wrong:(

Poor water parameters along with small tank size and inappropriate feedings can stunt the growth of fish.

How big of a tank were they in?
How often did you do water changes?

They may have actually gotten up to four inches, I am not exactly sure sure. I have heard of two feet, TWO FEET AND FOUR INCHES IS A BIG DIFFERENCE.

I changed the water every two weeks and the water parameters were okay, and they were in a 25 gallon. I don't have them anymore but want to make sure that I don't make the same mistake again.

Gold fish are poo machines. They really should have multiple daily feedings and in a tank that size with multiple fish should probably have 2 weekly 50% water changes.

Thanks, I will definitely keep that it mind, what should be the target size.

Back
Top Bottom