Blackboard algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristyK1101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm currently cycling a new tank. 60 gallon. I put a piece of spider wood in and after 3 weeks it started growing blackbeard algae. I took the piece out and sprayed it with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Do I need to do anything else to stop it? I'm new to this.
It is a planted tank, has 2 bala shark and 2 electric blue lobster.

If the lights to strong than its going to keep on growing and spreading. I'd keep dunking the wood in h202 solution or simply dump straight into it, no mix down, watch it fizz.
And
Ermmm
Bala sharks get huge, going to need a much larger tank.

If the lights to strong than its going to keep on growing and spreading. I'd keep dunking the wood in h202 solution or simply dump straight into it, no mix down, watch it fizz.
And
Ermmm
Bala sharks get huge, going to need a much larger tank.
Yeah, good catch. They get 15". And suggested a 150g for one. I'm guessing 200g or more for a pair

Well shoot. I asked before we got anything. Now I wonder about ciclids in that tank. It is my son's tank. I help him with feeding and maintenance but they are his fish.
He has a 10 gallon with his Betta and some ember tetras. The 60 is his birthday present. The plan was about 18 ciclids. Some yellow labs, the orange ones and the blue strip ones. Thoughts on that?

Sounds like those cichlids are mbuna. Labs def are. They don't get very big. They'll be fine in a 60g. I don't know what the growth rate is on a bala, sorry. Just guessing the average is prob 4-8" per year, but I'm not sure

If those cichlids are just "assorted African cichlids" or doesn't say African, they are mbuna. Usually the biggest get 6", more average is 4-5".

My son says that the strip is horizontal. And that they are Mbuna.

I'll keep a close eye on the growth rate of the bala. We for sure don't want to abuse our fish.

Horizontal is prob better than the species that's vertical, lol. Mbuna are fun, some are pretty laid back, some are very aggressive. They are great viewing tho, lots of chasing. And digging. 18 is a good number for that tank. Maybe even 20. Over stocking on the African guys helps spread the aggression around. But the draw back is weekly water changes and a heavy bio load. Tell him good choice on the mbuna tho, and good luck with them!

Thanks so much for all the help. I will tell him. He won't get the fish for a few more weeks. We are just getting him going on this tank. Im sure he will want me to post pictures when everything is set and ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom