Bloated black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe-turbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My black moor is around 4 years old and have recently noticed he seems very bloated, we normally feed him twice a day 7 days a week with "Wilko fishy feast goldfish food". He seems happy enough but can anyone advise, please see pic below

img_2083308_0_f86e41f14d0cb1e439ad53e9f6d9c0ab.jpg

Using master test kit shows

Ph = 8.0

Ammonia = 0 - 0.25

Nitrite = 0

nitrate = 5-10

I will do a 50% water change now

Hi Joe! Your ph is not an issue (saw your other post) and fancies actually do better in higher ph/harder water. Your pic though is very concering- his scales are very obviously pineconing which is not a good sign. This is dropsy which is a symptom of his organs (namely the kidneys) are not properly processing fluid and its resulted in his scales sticking out from excess internal fluid. I dont know what you have available to you antibiotic-wise to make suggestions. Epsom salts as either a bath (1tsp/g/15mins) or added directly to his tank (1tsp/5g predissolved in cup tank water & added gradually over 24hrs) to try & help alleviate some fluid retention may help a bit but the prognosis for dropsy is very poor. An aquatic vet can offer more direct/prescription treatment such as injections of Baytril which have had some success in goldfish community.

Thanks for your reply, I read another thread and thought it may be dropsy, thanks for confirming. I do have Epsom salts at home so will try adding this to his tank gradually starting from this eve

just wanted to give you a bit of an update,

I have now moved him into the 60L tank, and have switched his food to Tetra Gold Japan (read elsewhere that sinking pellets would be better) which he seems to be doing ok with.

Tank reading are below

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0-0.25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10-20

He seems ok for now, I have only been feeding him the new stuff as he has had no problem figuring out the food is now on the gravel, smells pretty strong, can fish smell the food?

I have notice 2 things of concern

1. I have never noticed him poo before but lately its very obvious as it seems very long and stringy, takes sonetime before it detaches from him (looks pretty much like the new food) is that normal?

2. Slightly more concerning is that the little fins or whatever they are that started pine coning, 2 of them in particular don't look good, one is quite large and the other seems almost like a see through bubble ready to pop?

I have not tried the salt yet so this was my next plan, do you know how much epson salt should be added to a 60L tank? and how much I should add each time over the 24 hours? I also noticed people mentioning antibiotic food? Can you recommend what I should try/purchase?

new pics

img_2093623_0_bd8e9a1c2e7defa5a49fb1200c9569dd.jpg

img_2093623_1_5e02d5f5cee0ec0f6c66edf65278cba8.jpg

img_2093623_2_d57759a1d8ccf1c8c6181944918a19db.jpg

Hi Joe! Yes, fish can smell food & yes, his poop sounds completely normal. It should be firm strands the size of his anal opening & the color of what he is eating. Do you live in the US? If so, go to the Goldfish Connection's website & go to their store. They sell a med food called Metromeds. Their number to call & order directly is 888-864-6919/814-864-3908. You also can purchase metronidazole from any number of sites & make your own med gel food. I would start this as soon as possible.

For the epsom salts, you can either add them to the tank (predissolved & added gradually over 24hrs, 1tsp/5g) or you can do daily seperate bathes (1tsp/g, 15mins). Make sure it is a level teaspoon (tsp) and not a heaping tsp. If you notice any strange behavior, do a water change. If using the bath, remove the fish immediately back to the tank.

An aquatic vet would be your best resource if this is feasible. Injections of Baytril have some success in treating dropsied goldfish. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom