Bloated/Swollen GloFish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KryptiCouple

Aquarium Advice Freak
In our 65gal tank, we have 3 of the GloFish. 2 pinks, 1 orange. The pinks almost constantly seem to have bloated white bellies. We thought it may have been due to overfeeding, but none of our other fish get bloated, including the orange GloFish. The tank has been set up for about a month and a half, they are fed a variety of foods throughout the week, flake pellet and frozen. They also tend to eat at the algae wafers and bottom feeder pellets for our frogs and pleco. These guys have been this way since about a week after we got them, and if we back off on feeding they seem to go down a little but do not lose the white look to their bellies, and they don't lose all that much of the bloated look. I would get a pic if someone could suggest a way to get a decent picture in a 65gal tank. The fish are still actively swimming around and, quite obviously, eat. They school with our guppies.

pH is around 7.2-7.4 and ammonia is at 0. Not sure about the other parameters, we haven't gotten a test kit. It is next on our list.

Any ideas/suggestions? :thanks:

It may be a she and she might be expecting. or they could be constipated. I'd suggest feeding them a frozen pea, taken out of the casing. If that doesn't clear it up, then congrats on the babies!

I thought these guys were egg bearers? We have noticed that these fish seem to gorge themselves when we feed. They always seem to go down in size after a day or two of fasting. Is there any way to stop the gorging that doesn't involve cutting down on the food for everyone? No one else seems to have this problem. Everyone else, including our orange GloFish is a nice healthy shape.

I got a few cruddy pics tonight. One is worse than the other, and the bellies are a whitish color.

66238-albums10209-picture42301.jpg

66238-albums10209-picture42300.jpg

You could isolate her for a few days, and then feed every other day while in isolation. I had a fish over eat, though none of the others. He died last week from over eating. :(
You might be over feeding a little, I'd cut back on one big feed and do feed small amounts twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom