Blood Parrot Tank Mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnnygromis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 55 Gallon tank I'm Currently cycling and wanted to know some other cichlids that would be compatible with one or two blood parrots. For as popular as they are there's not much information I can find on their tank mates. And articles on google I take with a grain of salt as they recommend some outrageous stuff like keeping an angelfish in a 20 gallon. I'll have adequate water filtration with a sunsun canister and a fluval aquaclear 70, I've created lots of hides out of slate and seiryu rock. My PH will be around 7.5, temps in the low 80s high 70s, I do weekly water changes as well. I know with blood parrots it kind of all depends on the temperament of said fish. But I have some of these cichlids in mind that have caused no issues on Aqadvisor which again I don't trust fully. I would rather seek personal experience on which ones you would trust most together. Also when the time comes ill most likely be upgrading to a 75 and turning the 55 into an african cichlid tank.

Polar blue parrot
Blue Acaras
Firemouth Cichlids
Red Hump Geophagus (or other smaller Eartheaters)
Angelfish
Kribensis

Other suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

I think you have too many cichlids for a 55 gallon tank.

Angelfish don't belong in tanks with big cichlids or firemouth cichlids if the firemouths breed.

Your kribensis will struggle due to everyone else being much larger.

The only cichlids that are normally kept in large groups are the Mbuna from Lake Malawi. Central and South American cichlids need space or they stress out.

I should have explained I'm not putting all of those in my tank. The only forsure ones are one or two blood parrots. But out of the list which ones would fare best with the blood parrots.

I should have explained I'm not putting all of those in my tank. The only forsure ones are one or two blood parrots. But out of the list which ones would fare best with the blood parrots.

Ok, gotcha. I thought you already had those cichlids and wanted to add blood parrots.

The blue parrot, firemouth and blue acaras are probably the best tank mates for blood parrot cichlids. If you want a Geophagus, then Geophagus brasiliensis.

Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards blue acaras. As far as the geophagus brasiliensis how fast do they grow. Because my buddy has those and they're pretty big.

Geophagus brasiliensis can reach full size (8-10 inches) in 6-12 months, depending on food and tank size. They like to dig too (as do all Geophagus), so don't get them if you have plants.

Back
Top Bottom