bottom dweller compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthewvl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I love critters and inverts, what kinds of critters would fare well with each other in a 40g hex. I currently have a dragon goby. Will an african dwarf frog be ok with him? what about a small crab? crayfish? freshwater clam? small newt? snail? shrimp? What combination of the two, three or four would work.

pretty much all snails are fine, and freshwater clams need light i believe. If you're keeping fish in there too then i would stear clear of the crab, as they are opportunistic (think i spelled it right...) and will sometimes catch fish if they can. dont know about newts, but are they completly aquatic, or do they need land to be able to go on too? For shrimp, you could, i guess, get a bunch of ghost shrimp, but i dont really care for them...kinda ugly i think. Or you could get...aahh...i think its called a cherry shrimp? never had one, but i've heard they're really cool lookin, but they're like 2 or 3 bucks a pop. I cant say nothing about the frog either, but i've heard a lot of people say they dont recommend them.

I think the main problem with the frog is that a hex tank may be a bit to tall for it to make it to the surface for air. I think they generally do better in shallower tanks, but I couldbe wrong?

Lonewolfblue said:
With the dragon goby, I would think that cherry shrimp and frogs would just become a meal?

That was my first thought too.

ah, forgot about the goby...sorry! i think the same thing as the others above about that too. and that was another good point about the frog needing shallower water.

Back
Top Bottom