Bought a 10g, want a 20, how do I move them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parrisgg

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I made the mistake of getting too small of a tank. I really want to upgrade to a 20g. Is there a cost effective way to do this? Or do I have to cycle a whole new tank, with a new filter, with new gravel, etc?

You can move the fish, the 10 gallons water and the filter over to the new tank the same day. You can also move the substrate over because it contains bacteria as well. if your not using the same substrate it's no big deal. Watch for a mini cycle and do a water change if needed. You can remove the old filter after 2-4 weeks once the new one is seeded with bacteria. When it's removed continue to keep a close eye on levels just in case.

You can move the fish, the 10 gallons water and the filter over to the new tank the same day. You can also move the substrate over because it contains bacteria as well. if your not using the same substrate it's no big deal. Watch for a mini cycle and do a water change if needed. You can remove the old filter after 2-4 weeks once the new one is seeded with bacteria. When it's removed continue to keep a close eye on levels just in case.

How can I get the new filter to be seeded with bacteria when the old filter is running on the new tank?

Parrisgg said:
How can I get the new filter to be seeded with bacteria when the old filter is running on the new tank?

Using filter media from the old filter in the new filter. It requires putting new media in the old tank but it's worth it.

Parrisgg said:
Do two filters run the tank to peak efficiency or is that not necessary?

Well it really depends. Sometimes two filters are needed because one alone isn't enough to filter the tank. There is no such thing as too much filtration but there is too much thing as too much flow for the fish.

I also want to make the switch over to sand from gravel, is there a way I can do this without destroying my cycle?

Yes. There is always a risk of a mini cycle when changing something in a tank but you can reduce the chances by moving or keeping as much seeded material in the tank as you can. You can put the old gravel in a stocking or media bag and hang it next to the filter intake for a few weeks to help seed the new tank. It's not absolutely necessary but it does help. If a mini cycle occurs its not much of a big deal. You will just have to keep an eye on levels and change water if it gets out if control. Everything will balance out again after a few days/weeks.

Back
Top Bottom