Bought a used filter question about media and cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
Assuming he washed all the media with regular hose / tap water all the vital bacteria would be gone right? Or possible for any to survive?

Also assume he didn't wash it at all, can the bacterial live if the filter has been sitting dry and unused for a week?

would my best option just be to wash everything out and start fresh??

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For the best chance of the bacteria, to survive the media would of had to of been in water (tank water).

If you placing this filter onto an existing tank which already has a filter. I've found best thing to do is run them along side each other for a while and keep checking levels.

Good luck

When I bought it he had just taken from his tank. But I think he washed it out.

If you already have an established tank that you can run it on, I'd wash every thing out to ensure you can't pick up any diseases or bugs from his tank and then run it with your other filter together to get it established.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you do not know the condition of the tank it came from, your best bet is to sterilize the entire filter then set it up and let it get it's own bacteria bed. If any part of the filter had been moist when you got it, there could be all kinds of pathogens in the media that will come back and infect your tank. No sense risking it. (IMO) Used is fine, sterilized is better! ;)

Hope this helps

Set up filter and run it on either an empty tank or a bucket and use some bleach in the water to sterilize the entire filter. then use clean water and dechlorinator ( like PRIME) to make it safe to use.

Would that require a ton of rinsing after? I would worry about the bleach

I've used bleach on tanks, filters, plastic plants, milk jugs for holding water, etc. All with no problem. The key is to use regular unscented or plain bleach. You can even use chlorine bleach for a swimming pool.
When you are done, replace the water with new water and run the filter again. With the filter running, use a dechlorinator like Seachem's PRIME ( which is what I use) on this water and it should eliminate any chlorine left in the filter. If you are still uncertain, take a sample of this water to a pool place and have them test for chlorine. It should show 0 ppm chlorine. If not, rinse the filter than repeat the process again with the dechlorinator. ( I've never needed to do this BTW).
By using bleach in a running filter, you will clean every part of the filter ( including the impeller) so there should be no chance of you bringing something into the tank from the old owner's system. (y)

Why do people use bleach and have to deal with the dechlorinating issues when hydrogen peroxide will sterilize the same way and what's left is not toxic to fish or plants?? OS.

Why do people use bleach and have to deal with the dechlorinating issues when hydrogen peroxide will sterilize the same way and what's left is not toxic to fish or plants?? OS.

And when he says "what's left" he means pure H2O.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

??? What? H2O2 is very cheap. See your local drug store or Wal Mart. $2 for a 16 oz bottle. You spray down the filter till good and wet and let sit 10 min. Rinse and use. Might take about 2 oz. to spray. OS.

I think its important to note that bleach will break down just like h2o2 will. That's why its never sold in clear bottles.

Good point (y)
I use bleach for 2 reasons: #1, availlable in a larger size and is cheaper to use, #2, I have had tanks get reinfected with the disease I was sterilizing for after just using peroxide.
In this case, if you just spray down the filter without running it or taking it entirely apart, it is just as likely that the OP will miss some parts of the filter's impeller assembly where bacteria and cycts could be hiding and infecting the tank once put back into service as it is that the thing is sterilized. By using bleach, you avoid having to break the whole filter down and it will sanitize the whole filter unquestionably, know that the filter is working ( the OP is buying it used. Don't know that it was running when purchased ;)) and in the long run, is cheaper to use than peroxide in volume.

Plus, Bleach will kill off any unwanted plant life such as algae. Will peroxide kill off algae? If so, then on a smaller scale, I see no reason to not use either. As previously stated, the wallet then controls the decision. Just my opinion :whistle:

I think I will go with the peroxide approach as I already have some at the house I could use. I will run it though the system.

Back
Top Bottom