Bright green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeCasa

Aquarium Advice Freak
I kind of like the way it looks but it's probably not good for my tank. It's only in one spot right under my temporary plant lights or that could be part coincidence or a partly a factor because this rock had some green on it when I built the tank out (2 months ago). That's why it was chosen we liked the green.

What is it and what do I do I control it?

Thanks

Marshall Tucker Band - Everybody Needs Somebody

This is a 150 and I'm stocking in 3 weeks, would all plecos have a field day?

Unsure, but i had a 55 so covere in algae that i could barely see inside. I got. 2 bristle nose plecos. In a week it was spotless. Make sure you like plecos though, not every kind is alifetime algae eater.

A pleco would loooove being in a 120g with loads of green algae.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, I'm looking at Leopard frog or Vampire, I'll check them out and see if they have an appetite for GDA

Controlling Algae

Hello Me...

Algae is a healthy and natural part of a tank. It filters the toxins from the water and is a good supplement to your fishes' diet. I control it with floating plants. Anacharis or Brazilian water weed uses the same food as algae but more of it, because the leaves take in the nutrients. It also gives off a mild, natural chemical that slows the growth of most algae.

B

Thank you, I just planted 8 stems of Anacharis and it's doing well (actually flowered).

My tank is 28" tall but the Anacharis is getting tall quickly so I'll start cutting back and planting the cut stems till I have a nice patch.

I'll also look at adding a bristlenose or Siamese to my livestock although as long as it doesn't get out of hand I like the way the green looks on the white rocks, it looks natural.

Thanks

Thanks

Ok so here is what i learned from fish and algae eaters. If im saying too much, tell me. Be careful with your selection of pleco. Some only work on algae as juveniles, the ove to other food sources. I think rubber lip and bristle nose are the most efective and there are color variations on both.
Vampire plecs are often mostly carnivorous, so much less algae eaten.
Sae on the other hand eat tons of algae, but from my experience eat mcuh less off glass, but will clean up those rocks.

I'll like the looks but I'll drop the vampire, need my tank clean more than I need a pretty pleco

Any problems with one BN and one SAE ?

I have 150g tank with only 8 male cichlids none will be more than 7" full grown, so they shouldn't be crowded

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom