Brine Shrimp Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently read that brine shrimp are high in fat. In the past I have been feeding my tropical fish brine shrimp (which they love). But does feeding Brine shrimp do more harm than good? Should brine shrimp be an occasional "treat"?

I don't think it will harm them. I know it's good to use a stable. But my fish for example only eat hikarii brine shrimp cubes with spilurlina algae and blood worm cubes, no stable and they are fine. I feed this diet daily. They may be high in fat, but I don't think it works the same with fish as it does with us humans, could be wrong.

Readingexcalibur said:
I don't think it will harm them. I know it's good to use a stable. But my fish for example only eat hikarii brine shrimp cubes with spilurlina algae and blood worm cubes, no stable and they are fine. I feed this diet daily. They may be high in fat, but I don't think it works the same with fish as it does with us humans, could be wrong.

But is it worth the effort of hatching the Brine shrimp? All this time I thought the Brine shrimp were nutritious for the fish. I assume the Brine shrimp have some form of fiber or protein?

I think the brine shrimp would have some nutrients, but I think the general take is, they are best when enriched with some sort of vitamin or algae. Live brine shrimp has proven to be a critical food in the development of fry to adult. I think they may carry some instinctive traits to certain fish a well. To answer your question I would say it is always good to serve some live food, but don't make it a staple in their diet.

Back
Top Bottom