Brineshrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Gross

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was also given brineshrimp.....for to go in the (lower) brine tank.......at some point. Currently having just rebuilt my tank.....and monitoring-waiting for the cycling process to play itself out..............................................
"WHEN" should I concider is a good time to introduce the brine shrimp to the system ???

Ziggy I have 100gal tank setup that is onna cabnet much like alot of the other setups I've viewed...which has a 35gal pumptank (under / inside the cabnet) which was used as a brineshrimp tank.(?) Its also hooked up to an automatic water adjusting system which when the brinetank water levels drop...a pump activates and fresh water plus a small dose of calcium is shot back into the brinetank.(a sort of evaporation control system?)
And the (what I'm calling )(it) "BRINETANK" has the circulation pump...fitltration system.This is where any of the previous owners put the brineshrimp to grow...which eventually get shot out into the tank-proper for feeding fish.
This "IS" a complicated system which I've recently acquired.All the information which I've relayed to you is how it was all explained to me...or at least how "I" understood it. (at one time this tank was concidered a "completely-self-contained-saltwater-coral-reef"...(??)-sound right to you ??

I apologize that I don't own a camera.Also for the confusion that I cause due to my (current) lack of education in this area.If YOUR A/A coverpage is like mine...theres an ad for " tankhoodsandstands.com" on it which shows a setup very similar to mine..(cept mine is slightly smaller).Perhaps I'll go surf it and see if I can pickup some of the PROPER terms to better explain myself.(please allow me one more stab at it though...(?)..would it be safe to say...that what I've been describing in this thread could be called...>> " a tank + refugium "...???

Yes it is safe to say that what you were trying to describe is a tank and refugium.

I've heard of and I have fed brine to my tank, newly hatched brine, but I've never heard of using the refugium/sump as a brine breeding tank.

Do some google searches on Refugiums and read up a bit. I think you will find some great information.

I have been researching the whole thing (since feeling like such a bonehead for the past few days in trying to describe this equipment setup.)
The refusium/brinetank setup has been used as a brine hatchery...in the past. Only infant brine pass through the pump...and are induced into the system automatically.
Now I'm probably gonna be off on another tangent becuse the "REFUSIUM" is in all actuallity a 30 gallon tupperware container which has held all the sumps etc......"I" want better for "MY" project !! Everything I inherited is all "the"-kind...except that. Now that I'm understanding more and more about SYSTEMS I'll be disposing of areas where ever alittle 1/2 stepping may have been accepted by any previous owners. Weeeeeeeeeee !! :) I "AM" having fun though !! Thankx Guys !!!

Back
Top Bottom