Bristleworm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys

I had a bristleworm problem about a year and a half ago, but I got a six line and he took care of that problem for me. I had to give him up, because he killed my beautiful and expensive helfrichi firefish, and he was going after my clowns as well.

I have another bristleworm issue, but I don’t know what to do about it because I don’t want another inhabitant that’s going to attack my other animals/fish.

I currently have in a 75 gallon:
About 80 pounds of live rock (90% dry rock, now live rock, 10% live rock gotten from the pet store)
2 ocellaris clowns
1 pylei wrasse (he doesn’t eat the worms)
1 Neon dottyback
1 flame angel
2 green chromis (the little guys)
1 yellow watchman goby
2 skunk cleaners
A bunch of snails of various kinds
5 blue legs

I want to know what I could get that won’t attack my other animals!

Thanks in advance!

I will always contend that bristleworms are not a problem. Great members of your clean up crew and will tell you when you are feeding too much...when they get large. I have lots in my current system. The only issue with them is that you'll get their stickers in your fingers once in awhile...but it isn't a big deal and if you need to avoid it you can by wearing gloves.

But, in terms of what you were saying about the 6 line aggression...your tank is a tad overstocked IMO. Even docile fish will try to defend their territory if they feel that others are encroaching on their territory. Put in an aggressive fish and it will only raise the issue. You can most likely be able to maintain things in the system with the current livestock without issue, BUT the addition of more fish will cause more problems and similar results for your firefish.

I will always contend that bristleworms are not a problem. Great members of your clean up crew and will tell you when you are feeding too much...when they get large. I have lots in my current system. The only issue with them is that you'll get their stickers in your fingers once in awhile...but it isn't a big deal and if you need to avoid it you can by wearing gloves.

But, in terms of what you were saying about the 6 line aggression...your tank is a tad overstocked IMO. Even docile fish will try to defend their territory if they feel that others are encroaching on their territory. Put in an aggressive fish and it will only raise the issue. You can most likely be able to maintain things in the system with the current livestock without issue, BUT the addition of more fish will cause more problems and similar results for your firefish.

Okay, then no need to worry!
They’re really small, just creepy
Also, I had the six line when I only had 2 clowns and a firefish, he never met these inhabitants
I’m not planning on getting any more fish, my flame was only a bit aggressive when I first got him, but he’s really calm now and hangs out with my wrasse soemtimes

My wife's small reef tank has a couple of large bristleworms in it, they hang out in the burrows her pistol shimp and Hi-Fin goby patrol. If the lights are out when she's feeding you can sometimes see all three at the same entrance. They are creepy as hell but, as others have pointed out, can be a valuable tool in keeping your tank clean [provided they stay in the burrow and you don't have to see them:ROFLMAO:]

Back
Top Bottom