Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylan07

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I have had my aquarium for about 5 weeks and just last week I started seeing brown spots on my substrate and on my rocks and on some plants I have heard about brown algae but I was just wondering if it's harmful and if there is anyways I can get rid of it ? Thanks for the feedback please and thank you.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392827094.184264.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392827119.501097.jpg

Ok will that get rid of the algae I heard it's caused my high nitrate is this true ?

It helps with algae that is in the water, or any other bugs for that matter. Water changes are crucial though. Water changes will cut down on the nitrates.

Also reduce the amount of time the light is on in the tank. And some algae eaters never hurt anything. Snails are amazing creatures for this.

You are having a diatom bloom which is normal in new tanks. Diatoms are self-limiting and use excess silicates in the water. Once the silicates are used up diatoms go away on their own. A UV Sterilizer will do nothing for this or any algae other than a green water algae bloom. A UV Sterilizer only kills algae, bacteria, and parasites that through the unit. Running lighting only 6 hours until the diatoms run their course will help keep the amount that forms down. Or if you have a fish only tank you can add something like PhosGuard to your filter. A phosphate remover actually removes silicates from the water as well. You can use it in the filter for a few weeks according to directions. I do not suggest using it if you have any live plants in the tank. You can also add a few nerite snails. They love diatoms and can't reproduce in freshwater so you won't be overrun with snails.

Last edited:
Just about everyone's tank will develop some type of algae. It is not a problem unless it gets out of control then it becomes unsightly, you can control it simply by reducing the time you light your tank, water changes and don't over feed. I wouldn't worry about your algae and if it does grow, just manually clean it off.

Back
Top Bottom