BTA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wbartsch

Aquarium Advice Activist
So 3 days ago i bought a bta for my 30 gallon tank with 2 clowns, assorted sps, lps, and soft corals, and fire shrimp. The tank is a year old so i have some idea what imdoing by now. I have good flow in my tank and reefbreeder Photon 24 lighting, pleanty for my corals thatrequire intense light. The anemone looked really great in the tank until this afternoon. It was really puffed up and had full bulbs on every tentical. It isnt bleached, it is green with pink tips. The anemone climbed around the first day finding a spot it liked. It picked a spot in the shade, im assuming because it was getting used to my lights. Everything was great until around 3 today. I was admiring it when in the span of about 2-3 minutes its mouth started to open and its tenticals shrunk up! I immediately did a water test and found that all of my tests concluded that there was nothing wrong with my water, 0s on everything. I didnt touch the water before this happened so i dont think any chemicals got in. I just dont know what to think of this. My last water change was just before i added it to the tank 3 days ago. I have bristle worms in my tank. Could one of them crawled over it and pissed it off? All of my other corals are open and looking really healthy and vibrant! Please let me know if you have advice! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, i only use DI water for top offs and water changes

Salinity 1.024
Ph 8.3
Amonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Alk i dont remember the number but it was where it should be
Phosphates 0
Tempwrature could be it. It was really hot today And i had a temperature flux of about 3-4 degrees, could that have been it? Was 78-79 this morning and is at 82 now

Pic? Did you acclimate it to your lighting? And just a FYI 0 nitrate and phosphate is a bad thing ( and not truly possible IMHO), corals need these nutrients to grow/thrive.

Sounds like not properly acclimating him caused this, to both the light and the water. This is why drip acclimation is important along with slowly increasing the light over time after new photosynthetic arrivals.

I may not have acclimated him to the water correctly. Ill have to look up drip acclimation. As for the light, i did turn it down and he went in the shade so im not sure if there is more to do there

You should drip acclimate all inverts for 30 min-2 hours to make sure it is adjusting to the parameters of the new tank.
You should be doing similar with your lighting, turning it off and keep things turned down, slowly turning it up some every week.

Wait so i should turn it completely off? I brought it down to half power

Im assuming its too late to do anything with the drip acclimation now right? Its been in for 4 days now

Just got word from my roommate that it opened up last night and is looking better. Maybe this is a sign that it is still getting too much light. Ill turn them down even more

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412737457.693771.jpg so i just took this picture, as you can see its mouth is still open but it looks worlds better than it did the other day! Should i try to feed it some frozen shrimp or squid? Or just let it be until it looks 100%?

It looks more green in person. Probably my lights

And we covered that the lights are intense enough to give this guy the light he needs to survive? I don't remember...in terms of a recovering anemone I say don't feed it and let it recover on its own.

Yes my lights are definitely strong enough

Its really only in that spot of the tank. I had a problem with algae a couple months ago because i was keeping my tank next to the window but have since moved it and the algae has been going away. Actually, this forum helped me with that problem too! Haha

Back
Top Bottom