bubble tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flame82

Aquarium Advice Freak
question i have two air lines running into my tank at each back corner. Now i have read that saltwater does not need this and just the movement of my two filters and skimmer puts enough air into the water. Also i read that corals do not like bubble wands or tubes whatever there called. So after reading this i already wanted to remove my airlines into my filter box so that way my powerhead i am about to turn on for my toadstools wont fill the water with air bubbles all over, i would rather not see the bubbles at all. So can i get rid of the air pump all together since i run a prizm skimmer that puts alot of air into the water or should i just move the airlines to the filter box and allow the air in that way.
thanks for any advice!!!

Not sure I understood why the airhoses are in the tank. What are the air hose connected to? If its airstones then you don't need them or want them in your tank. You should not even need them in your filter. Oxygen and CO2 are exchanged at the surface of the water.

I am hearing that you are used to working with freshwater tanks and you are confused about the air stones being needed or not.

Saltwater does not like the airstone air bubbles in the tank. I can actually hard corals and other critters in the water. The power heads will give enough flow through the tank to allow for proper gas exchange. I would completely remove the air stones and hoses from your tank.

The skimmer air pumps will actually help to remove bad stuff from the water. It will not have any effect on the gas exchange from my understanding.

I hope this helps!!! :mrgreen:

All gas exchange takes place at the waters surface so the airlines won't help add oxygen to your tank. The airbubbles can cause problems as already stated and you should remove the airstones and pumps. The only exception to using an airstone in a saltwater tank is during a power failure. What happens then is you get a slight circulation from the air rising to the surface allow for some gas exchange that you would not get without the circulation provided by the rising bubbles. HTH, Skip

Back
Top Bottom