bubbles on top of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know its due to the air stones but recently me and my buddy split a plant package.
As soon as we both planted the them in our tanks the airstone bubbles seem to accumulate at the top of the water and build up.
If I turn the air stones off the bubbles are gone within minutes (which is what Im doing when I need to feed them) but they dont seem to be going away even after a large water change.
There doesnt appear to be any scum at the top of the water and levels check out fine.

Just bugging me more than anything since it happened to both of us as soon we both planted these.

Thanks

The plants oxygenate the water so there's nowhere for the oxygen from the air stone to go except the top of the tank. Recommend only running it at night on a low setting.

Keep calm and drum on

The plants oxygenate the water so there's nowhere for the oxygen from the air stone to go except the top of the tank. Recommend only running it at night on a low setting.

Keep calm and drum on

Thats funny I did read about the plants oxygenating but I didnt see any pearling. I have the airstones down as low as I can.

I mean my tank was pretty highly planted prior and I never had anywhere near this amount of bubbles on top.

95775-albums14370-picture69038.jpg

this pic has no where near the bubbles either. On the right side you can see some but they seem to periodically dissipate and return at random times as well.

thanks

Love your tank. With that many plants you don't really need an air stone when the lights are on. When the lights are off and the plants can't preform photosynthesis they take in oxygen instead of releasing it. So turn it on at lights out and off when lights come on. I had the same problem when I did my first planted tank and now I have no issue with it

Keep calm and drum on

Love your tank. With that many plants you don't really need an air stone when the lights are on. When the lights are off and the plants can't preform photosynthesis they take in oxygen instead of releasing it. So turn it on at lights out and off when lights come on. I had the same problem when I did my first planted tank and now I have no issue with it

Keep calm and drum on

cool thanks,

Ill try that but Ill need another timer, plus we just like looking at the bubbles to be honest.

Take a look at a surface skimmer. They are attachmebts for filters that will skim water from the surface cleaning whatever film has accumulated on the top to cause the bubbles to stay there.

Back
Top Bottom