Burrowing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RabiedRooster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have a 54 litre with a sand base. I need a fish or invertebrate that will fit in and burrow or stir the sand a bit to prevent toxic gas build up. The sand is white silicon sand and between 1.5 to 1.8 inches deep. Current tank community:6 neon tetras,6 white mountain,2 dwarf gourami, 3 cherry shrimp, 1 bamboo shrimp. Thanks! RR

Try Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS), if you feed a lot they will reproduce a lot but you can always control the population by adding 1 or 2 assasin snails. Some LFS will even give them away for free. Also dkpate (a member in this forum) sells them.

I have MTS and a few assasins in my 75gal and it works great, I only see them come out at night.

Sounds like an idea. But I just read that they might be a bit to good at their job and breed like crazy. I don't want something that will eat all of the food that my shrimp need. Is their anything else good for my needs. Some kind of loach?

Some Kuhli loaches would work they like too burrow and snuffle in the ground so getting 4 of those would be an option. But get atleast 4 getting 6 is even better

Zipper Loaches! if you can get them they get to be about 4 inches long so 54 liters might be to small? They are awesome active fish and when they are happy their tails and fins turn red. I have been trying to make a sand bed for them but haven't quite yet!!

Sounds like an idea. But I just read that they might be a bit to good at their job and breed like crazy. I don't want something that will eat all of the food that my shrimp need. Is their anything else good for my needs. Some kind of loach?

The loaches are a good idea just watch your stocking, 14gal (54L) is not that big. About the MTS breeding like crazy, they do if you overfeed but like I said you can get 1 or 2 assasin snails (those will eat other snails)

I don't think the MTS would outcompete shrimp for food, they have not IME.

Thanks for the advice ill enquire into the mbts and look at the loachs today and decide between them. Really appreciate the help. RR

RabiedRooster said:

MTS will breed according to your feeding. Assassin snails will do the rest. I would go with MTS... They are too slow to get there every time before your shrimp.

I finaly bought some Kuhli loaches. They are cute! Didnt want the MTBs because in the shop the tanks were full of them will empty shells littering the tanks...Put me off a bit. Really happy with my new purchase! THanks RR

Back
Top Bottom