Buying a 55 gallon tomorrow, fish ideas?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jhilkyanks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am finally upgrading! From my 10 to a 55 gallon!!!!! Really don't know what to get... Cichlids?! Ahhh idk! Decisions and really want some advice, thanks so much guys!!!!

I am finally upgrading! From my 10 to a 55 gallon!!!!! Really don't know what to get... Cichlids?! Ahhh idk! Decisions and really want some advice, thanks so much guys!!!!

What's in the ten??

Tetras... In ready for more intense. I was thinking African cichlids. Thoughts?

You'll need a bigger tank for the tetras most likely- why not make an epic terra tank with hundreds of colors? What type of tetras?

you are on the right path!

I am in pretty much the same position as you are at the moment, except upgrading from an even smaller tank!

African Cichlids from the Malawi Lake such as Mbuna (Rock Dwellers) look stunning in groups but don't require much aquascaping, which can be convenient for some of us, and boring for others. There are other types of cichlids from the Malawi Lake but they shouldn't be mixed..

Another nice idea (if you want massive fish) would be a couple of oscars, I think, not too sure if I've got the right species here, but they grow to the size of a baseball (except wider) in around 18 months. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

There's millions of other set ups but I recon the African Cichlids are the way to go :)

Cichlids sound like a blast! Oscars are sweet but get hugeeeee haha I like variety so I'm thinking a bunch of colors but I want to swap out and get some black rocks so the colors show real bright! Suggestions on aquascape??

Jhilkyanks said:
Cichlids sound like a blast! Oscars are sweet but get hugeeeee haha I like variety so I'm thinking a bunch of colors but I want to swap out and get some black rocks so the colors show real bright! Suggestions on aquascape??

I'm doing angels and dwarf cichlids in my 55, both are technically cichlids and can be good in community with tetras.

For the African Cichlids you would be looking at sand, and then a mix of small and large rocks to give them hiding places and a few caves to mark their territories around.
You can also add plants but they would probably be dug up. Something like anubus would be ok because you can tie it to the rocks/branches and it will grow off that.

Here's my 40g breeder with Africans in it Utah lace rock a couple pieces of driftwood and some java fern and a fake rock with caves in the middle(soon to b replaced)

image-3310502989.jpg

Oh wow that's sweet looking! I gotta see what would be best, I really like cichlids but I think the person giving me the tank is giving me fish too... Some barbs and angel fish apparently... Idk what kind of barbs or angels but I guess I'm stuck? I don't wanna kill them cuz I don't like them...

From personal exp you will prob have problems with the barbs biting the angels. If the fish are small I'd recommend taking them to your lfs you may even get some store credit out of it then you can start fresh stock-wise.

Jhilkyanks said:
Oh wow that's sweet looking! I gotta see what would be best, I really like cichlids but I think the person giving me the tank is giving me fish too... Some barbs and angel fish apparently... Idk what kind of barbs or angels but I guess I'm stuck? I don't wanna kill them cuz I don't like them...

If your Lfs won't take them I've had good luck on Craigslist rehoming fish.

Any ideas on best cichlids? Or which cichlids would work with barbs?

Back
Top Bottom