Buying Clownfish Separately Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njphin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have 1 black and white clownfish. At first I just wanted one but now I have the itch to get another one to pair with it. Will I have a problem pairing it being that I am adding them about 2 months apart?

When you add them separately, make sure you get one that is either significantly bigger or significantly smaller. The reason behind this is, when you add it some temporary fighting will ensue to establish which is going to be the dominant bigger female and the smaller male. if they are the same size, the fighting could get brutal and lethal.

added if you can do a little rescaping so any territory the old clown had will be gone, turn the lights out when putting the new guy in

if you can which might be good is QT your clown while the new one has a little to explore and reintroduce the old clown

The one I have now is really small so I will probably try to get a bigger one. I'm going to QT the new one for 4 weeks then throw him in. Do you think the little one will get the better of the bigger one because he has been in already for a few months?

Very good advice given by everyone on the thread. Expect some battling to go on for a while. Also make sure you have plenty of rockwork so the smaller one can hide if necessary.

I wanted to know can I pair my Black and White true perc with an orange and white true perc clown fish?

That would be very cool. I have a clown that is about 1 1/2 inches that I want to pair. When do clowns choose there sex and can they change sex if a smaller of bigger clown is introduced? If they are on there own will they always be female, male, or could they be either?

I have to agree with a lot of posters. Expect some fighting. People forget that clownfish are a type of damselfish and can be quite aggressive. Also, just because you have two in the tank does not mean that they will pair up

Also, the larger can become a female, but a female will not revert to being a male if a larger female is introduced. Most likely they will kill each other.

Back
Top Bottom