Calcium/alkalinity values not ideal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys my readings are

ammonia,nitrite,nitrate 0ppm
ph 8.2
phosphate 0.1ppm
calcium 700ppm
alkalinity low (red sea test kit only has low normal high)

Should I do anything about the high calcium and low alkalinity?

Right now I have just been adding ESV bionic 2part everyday.

You definitely should do something. First off, are you sure ca. is 700!!?? I'd look at buying a good test kit like Salifert or Seachem, or take it to a LFS and have them test it if you can. 700ppm Ca just doesn't seem possible w/ out precipitation. IMO, try another, better test kit, or go to a LFS for a second test to start with. And get an exact number for your Alk. HTH

However, *if* 700ppm or even 600ppm was a good figure, this would be at least a great place to start to fix your problem. High ca is a known cause for alk to slip. You don't mention how things got so whack, but whatever your doing, stop. I wouldn't add any chemical, not one drop more, crystal or pellet until you double and triple checked your findings. Something is definitely jacked up if your ca is really that high. Please re post your new figures with a diff kit as mentioned by MT79.

GL!

MT79 said:
You definitely should do something. First off, are you sure ca. is 700!!?? I'd look at buying a good test kit like Salifert or Seachem, or take it to a LFS and have them test it if you can. 700ppm Ca just doesn't seem possible w/ out precipitation. IMO, try another, better test kit, or go to a LFS for a second test to start with. And get an exact number for your Alk. HTH

I agree Ca of 700 really isn't possible. You would have a white build up all over your tank and your PH whould be completly out of whack. I would recomend getting a new test kit. I don't even know if there is a test kit that reads over 500? I know the redsea only goes to 500ish.

You'll really have to get you ALK reading up if you'll ever what to keep you Ca level steady.

Back
Top Bottom