Calico Oranda Odd Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aeryka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fairly young fancy oranda, I don't see any external signs of sickness, the water/tank size is perfect however, he has started to act a bit strange.

Instead of swimming around or relaxing through the tank he has now started to sit vertically (head to top tail to bottom) either right at the top of the tank or towards the middle.

Like I said I've checked the water/cleaned it and it is fine, bought a new filter,
the fish has plants in the tank as well, I am starting to worry about the situation please help.

Also, I don't over feed the fish.

thank you so much

He eats regular flakes, hes in a 15 gallon tank, practically a baby, and the only other fish in the tank is a baby plecko.

Hi! We really need some more info to be able to further help you. If you can answer these questions, it would really help!

Tanks size?
How long has it been setup?
Tankmates?
Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp?
What are you using to test (liquid or strips)?
What you presently feed (brand/type, other foods)?
How old is the fish in question/how long have you had him?
Did you move the media from your old filter to the new filter or still running the old filter with the new filter?
Is there any other symptoms (lack appetite, strange poop, discoloration body/fins, etc)?

Thanks!

I have had this 15 gallon tank set up for about 2 months, the oranda had an older tank mate (from a separate tank) which was a fantail goldfish, the goldfish had died from a bacteria infection (red spotting) I believe it starts with an s. I had received this goldfish from a friend who couldn't keep up with its needs, The goldfish was in quarantine before i introduced the two, and I thought he was back up to complete health but the spotting started again. They shared a tank for about a month (the oranda has been owned for about a month) before i had the goldfish removed again and died today.

The water conditions were fine yet the goldfish still experienced a minor case of fin rot on his tail. I didnt notice the rot until he died.

Even in separate tanks, the 15 gallon tank the oranda is in, he shares with a baby plecko, after the discovery of the fin rot I noticed the oranda is starting to have the same condition, with the new tank i bought a new fliter system plants and gravel, I have completely cleaned the tank and placed the oranda and plecko back into the tank.

I had used test strips on the tank when I removed the goldfish I cleaned the tank at that point because the tests were slightly off from the recommendation I have found on this site.

I have cleaned the tank again today, Thursday I plan to buy another test set so that I can provide my current information.

Aside from this,

I feed the oranda Tetra Fin flakes, I have had him for slightly over a month, Bought a new filter system/15 gallon tank, and He seems to be eating fine, his poop is normal, however aside from sitting vertically, looking kind of depressed, his dorsal fin/fins in general aside from some swimming, with sitting vertically are limp.

Since he is young I am hoping he can be rehabilitated but this is my first oranda and I am unsure of what to do.

Sorry this was so long. I wanted to be as detailed as possible, and I understand you may not be able to help me until I provide the test information. THank you!!!

I dont believe your tank is cycled. Red blotches & fin rot are classic signs of a water quality issue as is your present fish's behavior. A poor diet is also likely a factor as well. Buying an all new filter system, replacing the gravel & thoroughly cleaning the tank basically restarted your cycle from scratch. Change 50% of your water asap with temperature-matched, properly conditioned & continue to do this daily until you have a good liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph. Plecos are not compatible with fancy goldfish- I would suggest either placing him in another tank or rehoming him. This will also reduce the bioload on the 15gallon which is overstocked with a fancy & a pleco.

You will need to be religious on your daily testing & water changes in the upcoming weeks as your tank cycles in order to keep your fish healthy. He may recover on his own with LOTS of healthy water. A would recommend a change in diet as well. Flakes are a poor choice for goldies, especially floaty ones. Switch to a quality sinking goldfish pellet such as Hikari, Pro-Gold or NLS. Start adding daily plain, cooked veggies (not canned)- deshelled peas, broccoli florets, spinach, zucchini, etc are all good choices. If a diet change & healthy water are not enough, sometimes witching to a homemade gel diet can make a big difference. Please read the link below because you are just starting a fish-in cycle. Good luck & please ask if you have any questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Last edited:
I will pick up the liquid test, I have already replaced everything, the oranda has already been moved and how do i tell the difference between this fin starting the fin rot vs. being bullied by the other goldfish who was quarantined and died?

i will rehome the plecko immediately, why are pleckos not suitable in a tank with fancy fish?

something i see commonly are pleckos in store aquariums with these types of fish, and now am kind of bothered by the "experts" mis information thank you for letting me know. :)

also i will give you the findings for my liquid test. what should it read for my tank size and oranda to be healthy and happy?

also are the liquid tests easy to use?

thank you so much!!!! you have been wonderful

Also, I have used stress coat and goldfish aquarium cleaner by API on all of my tanks, with the slight condition of my fish and new tank set up I got today should I continue using these products? and are they necessary or un necessary?

I'm responding on my cell so if I miss something, I'll try to catch it tomorrow when I'm back on computer. Ok, plecos will snack on slow fancies slimecoats at night & can possibly attack them. If its a common pleco which most stores stock, they can become quite large- 2ft or more & need a very large tank. The way stores stock their tanks does not mean its ideal or what's best for anybody living in them. Do your own research first & you can avoid a lot of pitfalls.

The API tests are easy to use once you read the directions. If you have any questions about them, just ask & we can walk you through it!

Stress coat helps to detox chlorine/chloramines which your water will have one or the other of if your on city/municipal water system. I would continue using this product for now for your water changes. The goldfish cleaner product is not needed & is likely adding chemicals you don't need either. Water changes are the safest & easiest way to keep your tank clean & healthy.

A cycled tank will zero ammonia & zero nitrite & some level of nitrate which is kept under control with water changes. Ideally, you want your nitrates at 20ppm or less. You will want to test your tap water as well so you know what you are putting in your tank. Because you will have some levels of ammonia & nitrite as your tank cycles, you will be able to keep these under control with water changes to limit further stress on your guy (or girl). I think I addressed most of your questions but if I missed something or you need a better explanation, please just ask! :)

I guess my only other question is about how long will it take (with proper conditions and feeding) to see a change in behavior/health? im so worried the new tank change/food and water change hasnt changed the fishes mood or behavior at all
:(

also we had planed to get another baby fancy fish how long would you recommend i wait until i introduce them into the same tank?

Your going to have to wait & see if he is able to recover with an improved diet & lots of healthy water. The fin rot issues should resolve themselves but if they dont start to improve over the next week, let us know & we can recommend a course of treatment. The floatiness/headstanding may or may not improve, once again if if theres no improvement after diet change & healthy water, you can try switching to a homemade gel food diet. Check out The GAB (goldfish and aquarium board) for easy recipe ideas. Unfortunately, the effects of unhealthy water can not always be remedied & fancies are prone to swimbladder issues due to their physical conformation.

I am sorry but no more fish in a 15g tank. If you would like to keep two fancies, you will need atleast a 30g tank with minimum of 300gph (gallons per hour) filtration. I would suggest doing a fishless cycle on a new tank. Orandas (and other fancies) have to potentail to become quite large fish- much larger than anyone realizes. Even the 15g will only serve as temporary home for a single fish. The more water you can offer them, the better! :)

Just wanted to update, he has adjusted to the tank well, he seems a bit more peppy today

not sitting around in the same manner, i got the pellets you recommended and the test ill have on thursday.

Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom