Camellanus ugh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm pretty sure one of my baby angelfish is infested. His poops are very ragged and hang on extra long. I see 2 tiny hairlike things remaining after the poop is gone. I just ordered Levamisole powder from Aquabid. Any tips or pointers about how to prevent reinfection and cross contamination with my other tanks? I have used the same net and siphon in 2 tanks. Should I treat them both? How do I sterilize equipment?
Thanks for any info!

If you have used the same equipment on two tanks, unfortunately, I would recommend treating both. To prevent cross contamination between tanks, the simplest (but most expensive) option is to have two sets of tank equipment- one for sick/qt tank and one for the healthy tanks. The other option is to disinfect both the equipment and your hands in between tanks to prevent transferring disease. The equipment can be disinfected with a 10% bleach solution soak for 10-15mins (regular bleach, not the ultra stuff) and then rinsed well before reusing. Good luck!

Thanks so much! There's not much info on whether the Levamisole kills eggs or just the active stage of the worm, and how to prevent cross contamination, etc. I will def. use the bleach solution.

I believe with the levamisole you have to dose again in 3 weeks, and again 3 weeks after that to ensure all the worms that have hatched are dead as well.

Back
Top Bottom