Can’t remove tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris 93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently added a large stump of wood to my tank 180 litres / 47 gallons and my water is stained Heavily with tannins, I wouldn’t mind a small amount of staining but the light is barely reaching the plants. I’ve been running around 500g /18oz of activated Carbon for 3 days yet it still has not cleared the tannins out of the water to any noticeable degree , does anyone have any experience with removing tannins ?

To my knowledge carbon doesnt remove tannins but I think purigen does.

Regardless the wood is going to continue to release tannins for a while. If you want to speed it up, you can take it out and boil it multiple times. You could also soak it in a bucket of water for a while and change the water often. Or just do a lot of water changes in your tank.

If it's a really big dense piece it's going to take some time for it to stop releasing tannins.

As above recommendations.

As a side note, tannins are good for the fish. Not really good for seeing into the tank as much though, also true. I have a tank right now getting ready to set up which looks like coffee...

Removing and replacing water with temperature matched conditioned water will lower the tannins level. There is no reason why you can’t do daily 45% water changes. If you have time you can do 45% water changes 3 hours apart.

As mentioned above the wood will release less and less tannins for a long time.
Chris 93 you write a large stump was it from an aquarium shop or from the wild ?
What species of tree do you know?

Thanks for all the replies , the stump is from the woods and is oak ,I pressure washed it and soaked it for about a week before adding it , I think I will try purigen and let you know if that works , I have also started doing 45% water changes to keep it a bit clearer.

Back
Top Bottom