Can goldfish play fight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was wondering this because my Oranda and moor were making circles around each other then bumping Into each other I found it funny because none of then were getting hurt(as far as I can tell) no fin nipping just some bumping

I wouldnt exactly call it 'play fighting'. Their behavior can be sourced to a couple of reasons and without knowing more information, its hard to say which it is. Aggressive behavior in goldfish is primarily caused by inadequate tank size/overstocking or breeding behaviors. Breeding behaviors can be seen in female only and male only tanks- there doesnt have to be members of the opposite sex present, just a dominant fish. As long as they have plenty of room and no one is being hurt/overly stressed, I wouldnt be too concerned but I would just keep an eye on everyone. Goldfish wont fin nip each other but they will push and bump and chase to the point of injury or exhaustion. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Ok their both like 3" so breeding isnt an option but I'm happy to see the moor is getting some exercise haha he's a lazy one but yeah it's only happned once that I know of I'll keep watching if it happens again

I think it's trying to be the dominant fish:/ he did the same with both the ryukins and started a little fin nipping but he's stopped so far

Back
Top Bottom