Can I add another crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's a 29 gallon tank. I don't consider myself a crayfish expert, although I've managed to do fairly well so far.

I currently have a female cobalt blue crayfish that I absolutely adore, and she is by far my daughters favorite in the aquarium. I definitely don't want anything to happen to Ms. Blue!

That being said, I was wondering if I could get either an ivory crayfish or orange crayfish? Would adding a female or male, size, species type, or anything else make a difference?

It's a 29 gallon tank. I don't consider myself a crayfish expert, although I've managed to do fairly well so far.

I currently have a female cobalt blue crayfish that I absolutely adore, and she is by far my daughters favorite in the aquarium. I definitely don't want anything to happen to Ms. Blue!

That being said, I was wondering if I could get either an ivory crayfish or orange crayfish? Would adding a female or male, size, species type, or anything else make a difference?

I wouldn't in a 29.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'll run the risk of them fighting and tearing limbs off. If one isnt hidden well enough while it recovers from a molt, then it will most likely get killed. It really comes down to your tanks footprint and how many hidey-holes you have (I think a minimum of three is needed for two crayfish).
Plus, if you have fish in the tank (you didn't mention either way), then you'll double the chances of loosing some to hunting crayfish.

I had two Mexican Dwarf Crayfish in a 10 gallon and one of them found and killed the other while it was in molt recovery. I only mention this because the dwarf crays are supposed to be far less aggressive towards each other than their larger cousins and one still killed the other the first chance it got.

Well, I'll just stick to Ms. Blue as the only crayfish. I just thought she might enjoy a friend, but it sounds like it could be a nightmare.

Thanks for the input and advice.

Crayfish do always best solitair

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom