can I use charcoal to remove residue medication?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All, last week I dosed my tank with tetra general tonic because my betta has fin rot. He is now much better and I have just changed about 80% of the water but I want all the medication out as my plants are not liking it. I have a corner filter with noddles and on top of that filter wool. THis has all gone green from the medication.

1- should I add charcoal in between the noodles and filter wool, and how long should I keep it in.

2- should I change my filter wool and noodles? even just do a 50% change? Its all green but obviously I dont wanna lose my good bacteria. I just rinsed all the media now and put it back in the filter.

3- Will the charcoal have any effect on my betta or plants?

4- Is one does of the medication generally enough?

Thanks everyone!

I would just run the carbon in your filter for two or three days and then replace it with no and then run it another two or three days that should be more than enough to get rid of it another good thing to get rid of medication out of your water is to use a poly filter I would highly recommend one of to do the job just take out some will your floss and replace it with the polly filter and just run it for a week

I would just run the carbon in your filter for two or three days and then replace it with no and then run it another two or three days that should be more than enough to get rid of it another good thing to get rid of medication out of your water is to use a poly filter I would highly recommend one of to do the job just take out some will your floss and replace it with the polly filter and just run it for a week
Thanks mr tap water. I have never used carbon, as far as I understand I rinse it with boiling water, then take my filter wool out, put the charcoal in and replace filter wool on top? Let it run normally for a few days then just take it out? Will that not turn my filter wool black, or do anything to my good bacteria? yeah my plants are taking a beating and ~Matisse my lovely betta is on the mend so I must get the meds out.

That's right just put the carbon into a sock and Put between the filter wool just lightly rinse the carbon first and is no need to use Hot water and replace after three days with new carbon and then run for another three days this should take all your medication out if your filter wool looks a little bit black it's only where the Carbon dust has gone into it this will not harm your good bacteria so there's no need to worry

Back
Top Bottom