Can my live plants survive salt treatment for Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhud79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 2 gallon tank with 3 neon tetras. I woke up this morning to find them with Ich. I also have a variety of live plants in there as well. I am going to use the salt treatment for removing the Ich as follows: 1) add two teaspoons kosher salt per gallon (a total of four in my case). 2) mix salt with approx. 4 cups of water. 3) siphon approx. 1cup of tank water. 4) add 1cup salt mixture to tank. 5) add remaining 3 cups over the course of 3 hours.

Does that process sound correct? And can my live plants survive this treatment.

Attachments

• image-1220366018.jpg
    image-1220366018.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 355
Bhud79 said:
I have a 2 gallon tank with 3 neon tetras. I woke up this morning to find them with Ich. I also have a variety of live plants in there as well. I am going to use the salt treatment for removing the Ich as follows: 1) add two teaspoons kosher salt per gallon (a total of four in my case). 2) mix salt with approx. 4 cups of water. 3) siphon approx. 1cup of tank water. 4) add 1cup salt mixture to tank. 5) add remaining 3 cups over the course of 3 hours.

Does that process sound correct? And can my live plants survive this treatment.

Salt and live plants don't mix... I would avoid the salt if you do not want to risk the plants. I used heat only for two weeks at 86 degrees and beat my ick.

I have a pretty nice planted 75 African Cichlid tank that's loaded with Anubias. I had some kind of bacteria. I treated twice a day with kosher salt and my plants seem to be ok. I treated for about 3 weeks.

Anubias is really hardy--more sensitive plants won't handle it as well. I agree with Mrduna01, heat itself should take care of it providing it's not been able to get really bad since the heat prevents it from reproducing.

Lots of plants can. What do you have in the tank? I think it the pic I see hornwort, banana plants, and marimo ball, which should all be fine. I can't tell what the others are though.

Back
Top Bottom