Can Praziquantel And Ich Attack Be Used At The Same Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeonFlux

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello guys,

New here, been lurking here and there. It's really nice to meet all of you guys. Looking forward to reading, posting, and helping others here. Glad to be part of the community.

Anyway, unfortunately, I believe I am dealing with both gill flukes, and hexamita protozoa in my discus fish, unfortunately.. I could see them flash their gills, and some look somewhat skinny and darkened discolored, but they eating nicely, and not hiding much at all except when the lights are off and when it is really dark..

As of late, I perform about 100% water changes about every three days to help remove stubborn flukes and I retreat the tank with prazi; and also making absolute sure that the new water returning to the tank is extremely close to the tank's temp. So far, no problems with water changes. I'm currently feeding metronidazole medicated flakes to fight hexamita along with a high temp of 86F to help increase metro's effectiveness.

So I just managed to get some Ich Attack from the LFS, and I was wondering if it can be used in the tank when it has some prazi that is active currently inside? Or should I just wait until prazi becomes inactive after a few days, or do a large water change to remove any residual prazi and then dose ich attack? Hopefully ich attack and prazi can be combined.. ich attack is organic and herbal, soo it's safe, eh?? But ahh just because ich attack is organic and herbal... Maybe there will be issues with them mixing and creating toxic conditions, or maybe it will put too much strain on the fish's system..?? So I'm still a bit skeptical and unsure and I want you guys opinions.

I would appreciate any input or ideas, thanks a lot guys.

Following - I spent 20 minutes and couldn't find anything to suggest they shouldn't be combined. Hard to find anything much at all though.

Same here. Though I posted a similar thread to this on a different aquarium forum, and someone just said he sees no problems using them together, since it's active ingredient is Naphthoquinon, which is pretty harmless I believe, and should be okay with prazi.

So I went ahead and dosed Ich Attack full dose today with some prazi that is still in the water.

I'll get back to you guys and let you guys know how it goes. Hopefully everything goes well.

Good luck, keep us posted :)

The ich attack from other posts and reading seems fairly mild, slower acting and fairly safe but keen to know how it goes.

Hello guys,

New here, been lurking here and there. It's really nice to meet all of you guys. Looking forward to reading, posting, and helping others here. Glad to be part of the community.

Anyway, unfortunately, I believe I am dealing with both gill flukes, and hexamita protozoa in my discus fish, unfortunately.. I could see them flash their gills, and some look somewhat skinny and darkened discolored, but they eating nicely, and not hiding much at all except when the lights are off and when it is really dark..

As of late, I perform about 100% water changes about every three days to help remove stubborn flukes and I retreat the tank with prazi; and also making absolute sure that the new water returning to the tank is extremely close to the tank's temp. So far, no problems with water changes. I'm currently feeding metronidazole medicated flakes to fight hexamita along with a high temp of 86F to help increase metro's effectiveness.

So I just managed to get some Ich Attack from the LFS, and I was wondering if it can be used in the tank when it has some prazi that is active currently inside? Or should I just wait until prazi becomes inactive after a few days, or do a large water change to remove any residual prazi and then dose ich attack? Hopefully ich attack and prazi can be combined.. ich attack is organic and herbal, soo it's safe, eh?? But ahh just because ich attack is organic and herbal... Maybe there will be issues with them mixing and creating toxic conditions, or maybe it will put too much strain on the fish's system..?? So I'm still a bit skeptical and unsure and I want you guys opinions.

I would appreciate any input or ideas, thanks a lot guys.

I am curious why you are adding the ich med?

You mentioned flukes and possible hex and are treating these appropriately with prazi and metro- medicated food. Even if ich was an issue, additional meds should not be necessary as you are using adequate heat and frequent large water changes.

Good luck, keep us posted :)

The ich attack from other posts and reading seems fairly mild, slower acting and fairly safe but keen to know how it goes.
Yep, I'll be sure to report back within a few days to see how things go, they are currently doing just fine after about 8 hours so far.

I am curious why you are adding the ich med?

You mentioned flukes and possible hex and are treating these appropriately with prazi and metro- medicated food. Even if ich was an issue, additional meds should not be necessary as you are using adequate heat and frequent large water changes.
Ah well, because I believe it can help complement metro and fight off anything nasty may be potentially on the discus externally and in the water too.. just to be safe than sorry.. Besides, Ich Attack is natural and I believe it's pretty light on the fish's system unlike the harsher chemicals out there.. I figured why not, it might just really help synergistically with medicated metro flake food very well. Not to mention the discus I have are pretty pricey, so I just want to make absolute sure I'm helping in every way I can safely.

Back
Top Bottom