Can someone help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myiafaith1993

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I just bought a 40 gallon tank off someone they had over 3 bubblers and 2 50 gallon filters run

Sorry didn't finish. There was 2 50 gallon filters in the tank and a ton of rocks so what I'm asking is do I really need all of that? And how much of my tank needs to be rock?

None of it needs to be rock. It all depends on the type of fish you stock, and what aqua scape you like. Are the filters rated at 50 gallons per hour, or for a 50 gallon tank. I like to filter 10 times the volume per hour, which would be 400 GPH. This varies with stocking, so let us know what fish you plan to have.

And 1 bubbler is plenty IMO, turned down low at that . Maybe Convict would buy the other two , he loves bubblers.

Your 40 G Tank

Ok so I just bought a 40 gallon tank off someone they had over 3 bubblers and 2 50 gallon filters run

Hello My...

A 40 G is a good size, with room to work. If you tend toward the basic, low tech tank, like I do, one filter with a gallon per hour rating (gph) of 160 is the minimum required. I prefer Hagen AquaClear filters, that hang on the back of the tank. An AC 50 with a gph of 200 is plenty. They're simple and efficient. But, you'll need to follow an aggressive water change routine. Change out half the tank water every week, no slacking.

Bubblers (airstones) aren't needed unless you like the tiny bubble effect. Save the electricity.

B

Your Livebearers

I have 4 sword tails 3 guppies 3 platties a and a couple mollies

Hello My...

Your "Livebearers" especially your Mollies, will be healthier and show better color if you add a bit of standard aquarium salt to their tank water. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons of replacement water is enough.

I keep large tanks of "Livebeares" and mine thrive in the "brackish" water.

B

I have 4 sword tails 3 guppies 3 platties a and a couple mollies

Hello. My stock is similar to yours and I find that a large amount of power coming from a filter really stresses them out. They all stay near the top and having a lot movement makes it increasingly hard for them to swim. I would recommend just one filter and one bubbler on low to keep the tank clean and the fish happy. Besides, all of your fish have a fairly small bio-load so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom