Can Turtles be a apartment pet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont know the answer but, where are you buying your turttle(s) from. My sister wants one but cant find a shop the carries them.

At some stores that have red ear slider turtles

Some do not carry turtles because they grow to big they said to use. However at pet trader they had 6 baby turtles there and 1 older turtles.

Unfortunately, the most common turtles found at pet shops are Red Eared Sliders. These grow quite big (12"+) especially the females. I recommend purchasing turtles through reputable sites like The Turtle Source. http://www.theturtlesource.com/
I bought my Texas Map Turtle through them and have now had him for 3 years; the males only grow to about 4". I have some pics of him at 3/4" on my profile. He is kept alone because I tried keeping fish with him when he was really small (~1") and he ate all the fish. I don't recommend this type of turtle to be kept with fish as they are way too fast and very tenacious, at least mine is.

I have heard of Stinkpot Musk Turtles being kept with Cichlids. Stinkpots also stay small and can be used in home aquaria.

Be ready to dish out $50 to $100 for a nice little turtle. Also, do some research before buying the turtle. Beware that many species are dimorphic, with the females growing much larger than the male.

Turtles will need a heater to heat the water, lots of filtration, and a basking area with a basking lamp. They will also need the proper UVB lamps so the turtle can synthesize vitamin D (for the carapace) and help with proper digestion and metabolization.

Hope this helps.

-Rotorhead22

Back
Top Bottom